Chapter 5-The bonfire

There's a loud knock on my door, and I sit up in bed. I rub the sleep from my eyes. I groan and stand up, trudging over to the door. I pull it open, expecting Minho, Newt or Alby, but instead I'm greeted by Gally.

"Um, hi...Gally. What's up?" He shrugged and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Alby told me to come get you for the bonfire tonight." He said calmly. I yawned and croaked out

"Hm? Bonfire?" And he nodded.

"Yeah. Come on greenie, its time to go." He said, nodding towards the hallway. I followed him out, smoothing down my hair as much as possible. He closed the door behind me and we walked out of the homestead. My focus is immediately drawn to the large group of boys clustered around a . Gally shouts over to to them as we get closer.

"GREENIE"S HERE!" Alby turns around, when his eyes meet mine a smile spreads across his face and he yells back at the boys. They throw a burning spear into the fire and it slowly ignites. After a few minutes of cheering from the crowd, the log pile is engulfed with fire, the flames reaching out to touch the pitch black sky.

"Whoa," I whisper, and a strong arm is slung over my shoulder. Minho smiles down at me.

"What do you think greenie? Pretty cool, huh?" I nodded, not taking my eyes off the flames just yet. He motions to the entire group. "This is for you greenie! We do this for everyone, but Alby wanted it to be special for our first girl greenie. Here," He said, pressing a jar into my hand. He turned and started walking off to his friends. I looked down at the jar in my hand. It looked gross, like pee. I set it down on a log and sat down, pulling my knees up to my chest and wrapping my arms around my legs. I set my head on my arms and watched the boys for a bit. Some of them were laughing and talking. Others were drinking out of a few of the jars. I glanced at the drink next to me and shuddered. It looked nasty, and it had to be some kind of alcohol based on how the boys were acting. I kept watching the boys for a while, a few would come over and ask me how I was doing, and I would tell them all I was doing fine, then they would smile and walk away. At one point the heat from the fire and the constant sound of the boys laughing made me start to fall asleep. My head slumped onto my arms, and my eyes closed. An arm tapped me on the shoulder and someone sat down next to me.

"Hey, Greenie, you okay?" Alby asked, slouching down and turning to me.

"Oh, yeah, yeah, im fine. Can you do me a favor and help me stand up, I don't want to fall asleep." He nods and stands up, taking my hand and pulling me up with him. I shake my head a bit, trying to get blood flowing to me brain.

"Come on greenie, lets go wake you up." Alby says, motioning for me to follow him. He leads me through the crowd towards the group of boys dancing around the fire. Minho comes running past, grabs my arm and twirls me in a circle. I wasn't expecting it at all and stumble a bit, which makes both Minho and Alby laugh. Minho smiles at me and jogs away to his friends, still smiling and calls over his shoulder, "Come on, greenie! Have some fun, this is for you!" The spin from Minho woke me up a bit, and I smile, looking around at everyone.

"Yeah, there you go Greenie. Maybe Minho should come back and spin you a few more times just to make sure you're awake." He teases, poking me in the shoulder. I smile, suddenly feeling semi-energized.

"Come on, let's go see what's going on." Alby pulls me towards a large crowd of boys. He pushes his way through the group so I can see, since im shorter than pretty much all of the boys there. Gally is throwing a boy to the ground. I don't know who he is, but he's not doing well. Gally taunts him, watching the boy slowly get up off the dirt. He brushes his long brown hair out of his eyes and charges at Gally, who dodges out of the way. When the boy runs past him Gally turns and thumps him on the back with his fist and the boy face plants into the grass again, to the cheering of the crowd. A few boys grab his shoulders and help him off the ground, dragging him out of the circle. Gally turns, his arms open as he shouts.