Chapter 40

I walk to the top of the parking deck and sit down, taking a deep breathe. I can not believe what I just witnessed. My mom is dying, the two people that I once trusted the most (at different times) have been lying to me, and I feel helpless. 

I hear footsteps, and I assume it's either Jesse or dad, but it's Ricky.

"What do you want?" I say, venom in my voice.

"Look, I know you're mad, but don't blame Ezra. When you and him got so close, he wanted to tell you. I was the one who stopped him, and when we were together, I wanted to tell you, but he's the one that stopped me. We made a promise to your mom," he sighs.

"I know," I sigh. 

"I'm sorry," Ricky says.

"My mom is dying. How am I supposed to live with that? What should I do?" I start to cry.

"Enjoy the little bit of time she has left on Earth," Ricky says, hugging me.

"Where's Ezra?" I ask.

"Right here," he says, walking up the parking deck.

I run to him and he picks me up. I cry into his shoulder until I feel like I have no tears left.

"Your mom wants to see you," Ezra says.

"Will you go with me? Both of you?" I ask them.

"Of course," Ricky smiles. 

We walk back inside, my hand in Ezra's. 

"I'm glad you're back," mom smiles.

"How could you trust them?" Jesse says. 

"Jesse stop-"

"They've done nothing but lie and deceive us!" Jesse fumes.

I grab Jesse's arm but he yanks it from me. 

"You might be one to forgive easy, but I sure as hell am not," Jesse says, walking out of the room.

I start to run after him, but dad stops me.

"Just let him be," dad says.

I sit down next to mom and hold her hand. 

"When can you get out of here?" I ask.

"They're keeping me tonight just to be sure. You should go get some sleep," mom says.

"I want to stay with you," I frown.

"If it's ok, I'd like some alone time with your father. I haven't seen him in such a long time. I'll still be here in the morning," she smiles

I kiss her on the cheek and give my dad a hug. Ricky offers to watch the kids, and I don't decline the offer. The ride home is silent.

When Ezra and I get home, I immediately jump in the shower. I honestly just want to be alone for awhile. 

I shower for about an hour before finally stepping out. I put some on clothes and slowly blow dry my hair, to waste more time. I finally walk into the living room where Ezra is waiting.

"Hi," I say, cuddling up next to him.

"How are you feeling?" he asks.

"I don't know how I should feel," I say, not wanting to cry. 

Ezra pulls me in tight and rubs my back for comfort. 

"I'm sorry I couldn't tell you," he sighs.

"It's not your fault. You promised," I say.

"Well, I'm glad you don't hate me, but I think your brother does," Ezra chuckles.

"He'll come around," I say, smiling a little. 

"I hope so," Ezra says.

I snuggle in closer, and we fall asleep on the couch together.

"Are you not going to school today?" I ask Ezra as I wake up beside him, still on the couch.

"I told them I was taking a few days off for a family emergency," he says. 

"Thanks Ezra," I say, feeling very grateful for him. 

We drive to the hospital and head to see mom and dad. 

"How are you?" I ask.

"I feel ok," she smiles.

Jesse walks in a few moments later. 

"What is he doing here?" he asks, scowling at Ezra.

"Jesse, that's no way to behave," mom says, and I haven't heard her use that tone since Jesse and I were little.

"This punk ass lied to both of us! Do you not see that Jo? He kept this big secret from us. You know what else he kept from us? Time! If he would've told us, we could've had more time with mom!"

"Mom made him keep the secret. What was he supposed to do?" I sigh.

"If he really loved you, he would've told you," Jesse says, storming out without another sound.