Chapter 24

"Hello handsome," I say, taking a seat next to Ezra in lab. 

"How's your week going?" he asks.

"I've been struggling with online classes and taking care of twins, but I'm managing," I sigh.

"I wish there was something I could do to help. If I didn't have such a busy schedule, I'd be there in a heartbeat," he says.

"Thank you. It means a lot," I smile.

Professor Clay steps to the front of the room, and all conversations stop.

"Please pass all homework to the front," he says.

"Oh shit," I murmur, realizing I forgot to do it. 

Professor Clay counts the homework and I know that he realizes he's missing one.

"Who in here didn't do it?" he asks.

I slowly raise my hand.

"See me after class Ms. Manders."

I roll my eyes as he continues his lesson and Ezra gives me a sympathetic look.

Class dismisses and Ezra stays behind with me.

"Mr. Montgomery your presence is not needed."

"Ezra is ok just wait for me outside," I say.

Ezra saunters out and professor Clay waits until the door is shut.

"Can you please tell me why you didn't turn in the homework?" he asks.

"I'm sorry professor, I forgot-"

"You simply forgot? I thought you'd at least come up with a better excuse than that. This is college, not high school," he says.

"Taking care of two twins everyday and going to school full time is a lot of work," I scowl.

"Is that why you've been going out with Ezra here recently?" he scowls back.

"How would you know that?" I ask.

"Ricky is my nephew, believe it or not, and all he does is talk about you. Meanwhile, you're going behind his back and messing with his best friend."

"You don't know anything about me," I say.

"Maybe not, but I do know if you don't stop this relationship, I will make sure those twins get taken away from you. They belong with Ricky, not some unstable mother. End your relationship, and I'll be out of your hair."

"Jo, what happened?" Ezra asks.

"Ezra, I can't talk right now," I say, rushing to my car after getting out of the classroom.

"What the hell happened?"

"I can't see you anymore, ok?" I say, slamming my car door in his face.

As I drive off, he gets me an excruciating look, and it almost kills me.

"I'm here to pick up the kids," I say, standing at Ricky's doorstep the next morning.

"Want to come inside?" he asks.

"No, Ricky. Can you please bring them to me?" I roll my eyes.

"What's wrong Jo?" 

"Nothing, I'm just not in a great mood," I sigh.

He goes into his house and returns with our babies. I load them up in my car and leave without even saying goodbye.

"Jo, what's wrong? You haven't spoken a word to anyone since you got home last night," my moms frowns.

"I hate my professor," I say, and the tears finally come out.

"Sweetheart, what happened?" my mom asks.

"Do I need to beat him up?" Jesse asks, joining us on the couch.

"He's Ricky's uncle. He threatened that if I didn't end my relationship with Ezra that he would make sure the twins were taken away from me," I say, crying even harder.

"Who is this guy? I'll break his fucking jaw," Jesse clenches his fists.

"Nobody will ever take those kids away from you," mom says.

"I remember Ricky telling me once about an uncle he had that was a very good lawyer. I don't think it's professor Clay so it must be a brother of his or something. Ricky said his uncle has never lost a case," I frown.

"Jo, listen to me. They don't have a case against you. You've done nothing wrong," mom says.

"I'm sure they could find a way to build one," I sigh.

"Jo, call Ezra. This scumbag is just full of it. If he wants to take you to court, let him."

"I don't want to lose my kids," I frown.

"Trust me, that will never happen. I can promise you that," mom says, squeezing my hand.

"Ezra please answer," I say, knocking on his door again.

He opens up the door, and I see Ricky, Ezra, and Ricky's uncle inside his apartment.

"Something you want to tell everyone?" Professor Clay asks, a smug look on his face.