Chapter 57

"How was work today?" I ask Ezra, as he shuts the apartment door behind him.

"I witnessed a fight at lunch, but other than that it was a typical day," he chuckles.

"Who was fighting?" I ask.

"Two freshman girls. Apparently they were sleeping with the same boy, without knowledge of each other," he shakes his head.

"And instead of being mad at him, they are mad at each other? I remember those days," I laugh.

Ezra plops down on the couch beside me, and he lays his head on my chest.

"How are you feeling?" Ezra asks.

"A little sore today. I just took some ibuprofen."

It's been a few weeks since I've been discharged, and being stuck at home sucks. I see Chloe and Leon as much as I can, and Jesse drops by when he can. Mom's health is declining, so I don't see her as often as I would like, and dad won't leave her side. I can't do much on my own, and when I'm not on the couch, I'm stuck in my wheelchair.

"What would you like for dinner?" Ezra smiles.

"You've been cooking for me almost every night since I came home. Order some pizza or something," I smile, pinching his cheek.

"Are you sure?" he asks.

"Of course," I smile, giving him a small kiss.

Ezra calls in an order for some pizza, and we watch some TV while we wait.

"Can you get me something to drink?" I ask Ezra.

"Sure. Watcha want?" He asks.

"Mr. Pibb please," I smile.

He makes me a glass of soda, and the doorbell rings. Ezra opens the door, and we find Jesse standing there.

"Hey Jesse!" I smile.

"I thought I'd come by for a visit," he grins, plopping down next to me.

I give him a small hug, and the doorbell rings again. This time, it's the pizza man. Ezra pays for the pizza, and he sets it down on the coffee table in front of us.

"How are you feeling?" Jesse asks.

"Sore. How's mom?"

"She had a better day today," Jesse smiles a little.

Ezra hands me a slice of pizza, and I give him a small nod.

"Are you going back to school next semester?" Jesse asks.

"Definitely."

The next morning I wake up on the couch beside Ezra. Jesse left late last night, and I didn't feel like moving from the couch.

"Good morning," Ezra says from the kitchen.

"Morning," I groan.

He brings me a cup of coffee, and I immediately perk up. He sits down beside me, and I kiss his cheek.

"How'd you sleep?" He asks.

"Alright I guess. Sometimes it's hard to get comfortable with these casts on."

"I'm sorry," he frowns, kissing my forehead.

My phone rings, and I grab it off the coffee table.

"Hello," I answer, without seeing who's calling.

"Jo, don't freak out, but it's mom. You need to come to the hospital right away."

{Sorry for the short chapter. I wanted to get straight to the action, and I didn't want to use too much filler.}