Chapter 25

"Jo, what are you doing here?" Ricky asks.

"What is he doing here?" I say, looking at my professor.

"I needed Ezra's advice. My uncle is helping me with custody. My other uncle, his brother, is flying in soon, so we can go to court."

"So you can take my kids away from me?" I scoff.

"Jo, what are you talking about?" Ricky asks.

"This jerk over here threatened to have my kids taken away from me," I say, pointing at my teacher.

"How do you know him?" Ricky asks.

"He's my lab professor."

I look over at Ezra, who hasn't spoken a word.

"Why would you threaten her?" Ricky asks Clay.

"In case you haven't notice, your best friend has been seen around with you ex-girlfriend," Clay says, hammering Ricky with the truth.

"Are you serious? Have you two been seeing each other?" Ricky asks, looking from myself to Ezra and back again.

"Look, Ricky-" Ezra starts, but he doesn't get a word in because Ricky punches him square in the nose.

"Ricky!" I say, grabbing him, but I'm pulled forcefully back by professor Clay.

"Get your hands off of her," Ezra growls, charging after Clay, and tackling him to the ground.

Soon, all three boys are emerged in a fight, and I'm frozen, unsure of what to do.

"Please stop," I cry.

Finally, they've had enough, and Ricky backs away.

"How could you do this to me Ezra?" Ricky asks.

"I wanted to tell you, but I didn't know how," Ezra says.

"I would never do this to you," Ricky fumes.

"It's not his fault," I butt in.

"Jo, don't worry. I'll see you in court," Ricky scowls.

I look over at Clay, and I want to slap that smug little look off of his face.

"Get out of my apartment. Both of you," Ezra says to Ricky and Clay.

Ricky rolls his eyes and Clay chuckles before making their way out.

"Ezra, I'm so sorry," I say, engulfing him in a hug.

"Why didn't you tell me he threatened you?" Ezra asks.

"He threatened to tell Ricky. I was coming over here to tell you, but they were already here, and I didn't know," I frown.

"I'm sorry, Jo. This is all a big mess," Ezra sighs.

"Let me get some ice for your nose and your eye," I say, seeing them both start to swell up a little.

I walk into the kitchen and grab two ice packs. I clean up Ezra's nose and then he holds an ice pack against it, while I hold the other one against his eye.

"Ricky is your best friend, and I'm sorry about what I said last night. Of course I didn't mean it. I was just scared, but I understand if you don't want to see me because of your friendship with Ricky," I say.

"Jo, I want to see you. I just wish there was a way to do it without hurting Ricky," he frowns.

"Even though Ricky left me for someone else, I still don't want to hurt him either," I frown.

"Should we end things?" Ezra asks.

"Maybe we should," I sigh.

"I'm sorry Jo."

"No, Ezra, I'm sorry."