Chapter 35

"Did you know that most of the 'dates' I had last year were fake?" Ezra says as we're sitting on his couch. 

Ricky wanted to have the twins for a few days, so I agreed. Tomorrow we start moving my stuff in, and I haven't told Ricky yet, but him watching the twins will make it easier for us to move. 

"Why would you fake them?" I ask.

"I was always intrigued by you, but as a teacher I wasn't going after you. When Ricky formed a relationship with you, I was kind of forced to be around you. Not that I didn't enjoy it, I just kind of wanted you myself, but I never told Ricky," he says.

"So I'm assuming Ricky doesn't know they were fake?" I ask.

"He almost caught me one night. I said I was having dinner at a restaurant with my 'date.' In reality, I was just picking up a pizza and spending my night grading papers. Of course, I ran into Ricky picking up the pizza, because he was picking up a pizza for you and him. He asked me why I wasn't at dinner, and I lied and said it was tomorrow, and he got the dates wrong. He gave me a look, but he didn't ever say anything, so I think he believed me. Looking back now he has probably realized most of my dates were fake," Ezra chuckles.

"Did you ever go on a real one?" I ask.

"I went on a few real ones, and I took pictures, so I had some insurance. It sounds really silly and I know Ricky didn't know I had feelings for you, but if he ever accused me of not having any dates I had the pictures as proof," Ezra says.

"You really thought this through," I laugh. 

"When I met you, Jordan, you came into my class and stood out. You would speak your mind at any time and you didn't care if someone disagreed with you. I just wanted to know you better," he smiles.

"Well, I love literature. You just happened to teach my favorite subject," I smile.

"I'm glad you started a relationship with Ricky quiet honestly. I would've never had to guts to try, especially because I didn't want to lose being a teacher."

"I'm glad you didn't. Ricky and I weren't as careful as we should've been, looking back at it. We could've easily been caught, and I'm honestly sorry I ever put him in that position," I say.

"Ricky has always been the one to go after someone or something he can't have. He knew it was wrong to be with you, and I think when graduation neared he realized he could finally have you. Sometimes with Ricky it's only a game. He went on to his next challenge, which was a married woman. I wanted to beat some sense into him, but part of me was being selfish. I wanted him to leave so I could swoop in and try my luck, since you were graduated, and I'm sorry for that."

"Ezra, none of that is ever your fault. Don't think that for a second. Even if you had talked to Ricky, I'm sure he would've still left."

"Then when Ricky came back, he told me he was done with the games. He realized he loved you, Chloe, and Leon so much. I was scared you were gonna throw me aside for your family," Ezra admits.

"Honestly Ezra, Ricky can't change the face that he DID leave me for another woman. Yes, we have two kids together, but you were there for me and my babies when he was away with another woman. You were the one to pick up the pieces, not him. You're the one that gives me butterflies every time I look at you, not him. I want to be with you Ezra."

Ezra holds me close and leans in to kiss me. 

"Thank you for choosing me," Ezra smiles, and I lean back in and continue to kiss him.