Chapter 28

"Professor Clay, I don't want to take your class anymore. Can you please sign my withdrawal paper?" I ask, coming into class early on Friday. 

"Ms. Manders, I want to apologize. My actions were way out of line, and I'm terribly sorry. I would like to keep you in my class, and if you stay, nothing like that will ever happen again."

"Do you really mean that?" I question.

"Absolutely, and I'm happy for you and Ezra. Ricky told me, and I'm sorry for my behavior. I was just trying to watch out for my nephew and my grandnephew and niece."

"I understand, and I guess I'll stay," I smile.

He holds out his hand, and I shake it. 

"You should bring the babies by for a visit sometime. I'd love to see them," he smiles.

"Maybe I will," I say, considering it.

"You're here?" Ezra asks as he sits beside me in lab.

"Professor Clay apologized, so I think everything is ok," I smile.

"That's great," he grins, kissing my cheek. 

"Good evening class, and let's begin," Professor Clay says at the front of the room. 

"Where are you taking me?" I laugh as I'm sitting in Ezra's car a few hours later.

"It's a surprise," he grins.

"I hate surprises," I lie.

"No you don't," he smirks.

"How would you know?" I ask.

"I know you better than you think," he grins. 

"Can I take off the blindfold now?" I huff.

"Just a few more steps," he grins, holding my hand as he leads me up a set of stairs.

I groan, but I'm actually really excited.

"Ok, take it off."

I remove my blindfold to see we're on a rooftop. I see a table for two with candles and dinner on it. I'm awestruck. 

"This is beautiful. Where are we?" I ask.

"On a hotel rooftop. I know the guy who owns this place, so he hooked me up," Ezra smiles.

"You're incredible," I gush.

He takes my hand and leads me to the table, pulling my chair out for me. I sit down and he takes the seat across from me. 

"I wasn't sure what you wanted so I ordered us both cheeseburgers," he chuckles.

"This is absolutely perfect."

"Do you want to stay over tonight?" Ezra asks as we're finishing up dinner.

"I don't have anything to sleep in," I say.

"You can wear some of my clothes," he smiles, making me blush.

"In that case, I would love to," I grin.

"You have a beautiful smile," he says. 

He leans in to give me a kiss, and I feel like my heart is bursting as our lips entangle. I've never felt so happy, so safe.

"Ready to head home?" he smiles.

I nod my head and we make our way downstairs. As we head outside, heavy rain starts to fall.

"Run!" I giggle, taking his hand and running toward the car.

We make it to the car and we're soaking wet. I pull him in for a kiss and smile against his lips.

"Thank you for tonight. It was amazing," I grin.

"Thank you for coming," he says.

"Of course, and thank you for letting me stay over."

"It's better with you there. Now, let's head home."