Chapter 16

"So, how was your date?" Luke asks.

"It wasn't a date. We were just hanging out," I correct him. 

"Same difference," Ezra butts in.

"I just don't know how I should feel. He left me for another woman, and ironically she cheated on him. You don't think he came back for me as his second option?" I ask.

"I highly doubt it, knowing Ricky, but lately he's done things so unlike him," Ezra frowns.

 "I just don't even want to think about it. He did ask me if he could take the kids out tomorrow. Do you think I should let him?" I ask.

"I think you should. Maybe he's trying to step up and prove something to you. Plus, the kids need their dad, whether you two are together or not," Paige says.

"You're right," I say, pulling out my phone and shooting him a text. 

"So, how was it?" Jesse asks, stepping inside and putting his keys down on the counter.

"It wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be," I say as he joins us at the kitchen table.

"I only wish the best for you," Chase says.

"Agreed," everyone else chimes in.

"Well, thank you all for being here for me since Ricky hasn't been. I really hope he's serious this time," I sigh. 

"If he isn't, then don't waste your time on him anymore. If you weren't so in love with him I probably would've beaten his ass by now," Jesse says, making everyone laugh but me. 

"Why am I so in love with him?" I groan. 

Ricky and I, we're far form perfect. We fight constantly, and one of us is always storming away. No matter how awful he treats me or how awful I treat him, I still want him, and I don't know why.

"Well, you do have two kids with him," Paige jokes, making me smile. 

My phone rings, and Ricky's name appears.

"Hi Ricky."

"Hey Jo. Instead of coming to get the kids tomorrow, do you care if they come spend the night with me at Ezra's house?" he asks.

"Is it going to be just you there?" I ask. 

"Yes, unless Ezra comes home of course."

"Ok, that's fine," I say.

"Thanks Jo."

I hang up the phone. 

"You're ok with Ricky keeping the kids at your house tonight right? I'm sorry, I should've asked you first before I agreed," I frown.

"Jo, it's ok. I'm probably about to leave. Should I just take Chloe and Leon with me?" he asks.

"That's fine. Just let Ricky know," I smile.

I help Ezra load them into their car seats, kissing both of their foreheads.

"Even though I should say be bad, be good for your daddy," I sigh. 

"Everything will be ok," Ezra says, wrapping me in a hug. 

"I keep hearing that, but I'm just wait for it to happen."

"Call me if you need anything ok?" Ezra smiles.

"Will do Ezra. Thank you so much," I grin. 

He waves at me as he pulls out of my driveway.

A few hours later, it's just Jesse and I sitting on the couch watching Catfish. I pull out my phone and text Ricky.

Me: Hey. How are the kids?

Ricky: Doing great. Thank you for letting me watch them, even though I don't deserve to.

Me: They need you. You're their father. Please take advantage of being around. You've missed a lot already. They're only little once.

Ricky: I'm not going anywhere Jo.

"How are the kids?" Jesse asks.

"Ricky says they are doing good," I grin. 

"I'm glad he's here for them. Hopefully he'll stick around this time."

I sure hope so, I think to myself. 

The next day I decide to register for classes. I'm only going to take online this semester, so hopefully I can get a good job but also have more time with my kids. I make my way into the office at the technical school in my city.

An hour later and I'm registered for all online classes except one. I have to take a biology and lab class together on Fridays. It's a three hour long class! At least I was able to get the rest of them online. I pull out my phone and dial Ricky's number.

"Hey Jo."

"Can I come over? I miss my babies," I frown.

"Come right over," he says.

"Be there soon."

"Hi Chloe Grace!" I grin, picking my little girl up and kissing her nose. 

"Hey Jo," Ezra smiles. 

"Hey Ezra. How were they?" I ask Ricky. 

"They were perfect. I missed them so much. Thank you for letting me keep them," he grins. 

"I signed up for classes," I say, joining Ezra in the kitchen.

"Really? At the technical school or university?" he asks. 

"Tech."

"Really? Cause I'm going back to school, and I signed up for classes there," he smiles.

"What are you going back for?" I ask. 

" I want to get my degree in scientific engineering."

"Wow, impressive. I only have one class at the college and the rest are online, but maybe I'll see you around," I smile. 

"Hopefully," he grins.

"So, Ricky, are you still teaching at the high school?" I ask. 

"I plan on it, but I don't really enjoy it anymore," he says. 

"Well, that sucks, but maybe there's another career out there for you," I smile.

"Yeah, maybe," he grins. 

"I should probably head home," I sigh.

"I'll help you load the babies," Ricky smiles.

I put Leon in his car seat and Ricky puts Chloe in hers. 

"Thank you for letting me keep them," he says, thanking me for the thousandth time. 

"Of course Ricky. As much as I don't like what has happened, you're still their dad," I smile. 

He gives me a quick kiss on the cheek. 

"Can I see them tomorrow, and maybe even you?" he asks.

"I think I'd like that," I say, waving to him as I drive off.

So far so good. That's the way I like it.