Chapter 31

"Are you nervous?" Jesse asks.

"After what professor Clay said, yeah a little," I frown.

"Hey, I've got your back. No matter what happens," Jesse smiles.

"Thank you for coming with me," I smile.

"Of course," he says.

We load Chloe and Leon into Jesse's car and I get in the passenger seat.

"Where are we meeting them again?" Jesse asks.

"The little cafe near Wal-mart. Do you know what I'm talking about?" I ask.

"I've been there a few times. They have some pretty good food," Jesse says.

The drive there is short, and I get more nervous as we start getting closer. When we get there, I grab Chloe and Jesse grabs Leon. We walk inside and I see Ricky and his parents at a table in the corner.

"Oh my goodness. Look how cute!" Ricky's mom says, standing up and taking Chloe out of my hands. Ricky's dad does the same with Leon.

"Mom, dad, this is Jo, and this is her brother Jesse," Ricky introduces us. 

We shake their hands and take a seat at the table. After getting our food, the conversation starts.

"So, Ricky tells me you and him met in school," Ricky's mom grins.

"Yeah, I was his student," I say.

"I bet all the sneaking around was fun," his dad chuckles.

"It wasn't too difficult," I say, feeling a little uncomfortable.

"So, tell me Jo, why did you leave Ricky?" his mom asks, getting straight to business.

"He cheated on me. Didn't he tell you?" I say, scowling at Ricky.

"Everyone makes mistakes, sweetheart. Why not work it out for your family?" his mom keeps pressuring.

"I tried. He's the one that left," I scowl.

"Oh pish posh! You should've went after him," he says.

"Enough," Ricky says. 

"Come on Ricky. This girl is making a terrible mistake," his mom retorts.

"Please stop talking about my sister like that. You don't know her," Jesse scowls.

"Excuse me, but I don't feel welcome here anymore. Thank you for breakfast. Excuse us," I say, getting up.

Jesse and I grab the babies and get out of there as fast as possible.

"Such a bitch," I growl.

"Woah, language," Jesse says.

"Sorry," I mumble, getting into the car when we finish loading the babies.

"It's ok. I can't stand his mom already."

"His dad was ok though. Can you take me to Ezra's?" I ask.

"Of course," he smiles.

"Hi," I smile, wrapping Ezra in a hug, after putting the babies down in the playpen we have at his house.

"How was it?" he asks.

I explain what happened, and he sighs.

"I didn't think it would go so good," he says.

"That's why I didn't want you there," I frown.  

He hugs me tighter and then we sit on the couch.

"I'm sorry that happened. His parents haven't spoken to me since they found out we were together," Ezra says.

"I'm glad I have you," I smile.

"I'm glad too," he grins.

On cue, the twins start to cry.

"I'll get Leon if you get Chloe," Ezra smiles.

"Deal."

"Goodnight, Jo," Ezra says as we're standing outside my door.

"I don't want you to go," I frown.

"I'll be back in a week," he says.

Ezra's leaving to visit some old friends in another state. He wanted me to go, but I declined. I didn't want to leave the kids.

"I'm gonna miss you," I say, wrapping him in a hug.

"I'll miss you too," he smiles.

He gives me a long, sweet kiss before heading back to his car. He waves me to as he pulls out and I wave back, letting out a long sigh.

Oh boy. This is going to be one long week. 

My phone buzzes and I pull it out.

Ezra: I miss you already. Take it easy, and I'll see you soon. <3