Small Town, Big Hearts

Start from the beginning

Kennedy pulled the juice carton from the top shelf and closed the refrigerator door. 'You don't have to cook for me, Connie. I'm more than capable.'

Connie pinched the young girl's cheek with her short, fat fingers making Kennedy smile. The older woman reminded her a lot of her grandmother and she felt a wave of emotion.

'I know that, dear,' said Connie. 'But I want to. Now sit.' She took the juice from her and began to pour a glass.

Kennedy sighed and sat down at the breakfast bar, then dutifully accepted the glass of juice with a smile. 'Thank you.'

'So what are your plans for today, dear?' said Connie turning to take two eggs from the refrigerator.

'I'm not working today, so maybe I'll just hang around. I don't know,' Kennedy shrugged.

Connie begin whipping up the eggs at such a speed that it reminded Kennedy of Clark. And how fast he'd moved the night before when she had been careless with her power. She wouldn't let that happen again. From now on it was under wraps. She was curious about Clark. But maybe not as curious as she was about Lex...

She had come back from the Talon last night and found him in his study, the stereo system pumping out music and she had been tempted to ask him about Clark. But she figured Lex probably didn't know anything. Even if he and Clark were friends. So instead she challenged him to a game of billiards and much to her amusement and his surprise, beaten him. He had demanded a rematch. And she beat him again. He decided it was best to give up while he still had a small amount of pride left and they had talked for a little while about nothing in particular. Around one in the morning she had left him in his office and gone up to bed, lying awake thinking about him and wishing there was something she could do to repay him for all he had done for her. But there was nothing she could give him that he didn't already have. And there was nothing he wanted from her anyway.

She had been living at the mansion a few days now and she realised she really didn't know that much about him. Apart from the obvious. He was the son of a billionaire businessman, who was easy on the eye and as bald as the day was new. While Connie whipped, Kennedy sipped at her juice. She put the glass down on the granite top and watched as she expertly poured the eggs into a pan and began to beat them.

'Connie?'

'What is it, dear?' asked the cook.

'Do you like working for the Luthors?'

'I don't have any complaints. I know there are a lot of people around here that do, but they've always been good to me. After my husband died Mr. Luthor offered to help me with the burial. My Stanley hadn't left me much to live on. He was a good man, but he liked to gamble.' She sighed. 'Still, I was grateful for Mr. Luthor's offer.'

'Did you accept?' 

It seemed like a personal question, but one Kennedy knew Connie wouldn't be offended by.

'Yes, I did,' she said and turned to look at her. 'And do you want to know something else? He never asked me to pay it back. Or to take a cut in wages.'

'That was nice of him,' said Kennedy, nodding.

'Yes. It was.'

'When you say Mr. Luthor...you're talking about Lex's father, right?'

Connie turned away from the eggs, and smiled at her. 'No, dear. I'm talking about young Mr. Luthor, Alexander. My husband only passed away six months previous. Mr. Luthor senior wasn't even around. He doesn't spend much time at home.' She clucked as though she was saddened by it and went back to the eggs.