Small Town, Big Hearts

Start from the beginning

Martha reached up and placed her hand on his arm, giving it a gentle rub. 'Of course it is, honey.'

'I'll start in the barn,' he said then he turned and left the kitchen by the back door.

Martha watched the door close behind him. Jonathan knew she was concerned. Their son may well be some kind of superhero with superpowers, but he was still a teenager. With teenage problems.

'Martha,' said Jonathan gently. She turned to him and he gave her a reassuring smile. 'He's fine. If there's anything troubling him, you know he'll come to us. He always has in the past.'

'Maybe when he was a child, yes. But, Jonathan, he's not a kid anymore. He's changing all the time.'

'He's always been changing,' Jonathan pointed out.

'Do you think he's having problems at school and isn't looking forward to going back?'

Jonathan smiled. 'He's a grade A student, Martha.'

Martha sighed. 'Okay, then maybe it's something else. You know what teenagers are like. Maybe...' She stopped and smiled then. 'Maybe it's a girl.'

'She says hopefully.'

'Maybe he's plucking up the courage to ask Lana to Homecoming,' Martha went on.

'Well, whatever it is, I'm sure he has it all under control. And if he hasn't, he'll come to us,' said Jonathan picking up his coffee. 'He may well be older, but that's one thing that isn't going to change. You know Clark tells us everything. If there's one thing about this family, it's that we don't have any secrets from one another.'

Martha nodded and smiled. 'You're probably right. I'm worrying unnecessarily,' she said and went back to her breakfast.

*

Kennedy had taken a long soak in the tub, washed and dried her hair, before heading downstairs to the kitchen to grab some breakfast. Constance, the Luthor's cook, a small, plump woman in her mid-sixties turned and smiled as Kennedy came through the door.

Connie, as she was known to the other staff members, had seen many a pretty girl come and go in the years she had worked at the Luthor mansion. But none like this one. This one was different. The others had been pretentious and superficial and none of them had taken the time to come down to the kitchen to eat breakfast. Probably thought it was beneath them. Apart from the first morning Kennedy had stayed with Lex, she had eaten in the kitchen. Partly from not wanting to bother him while he was working, but mostly from refusing to ring down and order like she was in some sort of swish hotel and treating the staff like they were at her beck and call. Connie also knew from one of the maids that unlike the others, young Kennedy had her own room within the mansion; and that she insisted on making up her own bed and cleaning her own bathroom. There was obviously no romance between Mr. Luthor and the lovely girl.

Which, Connie thought, was a real shame.

She hoped Mr. Luthor could see what she did; that she was a lovely and genuine young girl. And that young man could do with a little love and stability in his life. She hoped that now Kennedy was here, he might put an end to his playboy ways and maybe even settle down.

'Hey, Connie,' Kennedy smiled as she came inside. 

'Good morning, dear,' replied Connie. 'Bacon and eggs?'

'I can do it,' said Kennedy heading for the refrigerator.

Connie knew she could and that she didn't have a problem with it. But this was one of Mr. Luthor's friends that Connie didn't mind cooking for. 'You just sit yourself down and I'll have them rustled up before you can say abracadabra.'