He sat back, smiling, his elbows resting on the arms of the chair. He had been caring since day one. He just didn't understand it. It was strange. He never let his emotions get the better of him.

Never.

He had offered to pick her up out of concern, that much was true. But there was another reason. There was a part of him that kept thinking when she left she might not come back. And if that happened, Lex wasn't certain how it would affect him. All he knew was that he didn't care to find out.

*

'Anyone ask you to the dance?' Pete asked Chloe as they sat at a table inside the Talon.

'Not yet,' Chloe replied flatly.

'Oh,' said Pete surprised and hopeful all at the same time. 'Well, I mean...' He had begun to stammer. Why did he always do that when he made any attempt to ask her out? He was worse than Clark when he was around Lana.

Chloe lifted her blue eyes and looked at him. 'What is it?'

'I just thought that if it nothing pans out with you-know-who, then - '

'Pete!' Chloe cut him off. 'Would you take a commercial break from the soap opera in your head? I'm no longer interested in Clark!'

Pete nodded his head. 'Oh. Okay. Well, your vehement denial is duly noted.'

Chloe sighed at him and ran her fingers through her short blonde hair. 'Besides it's just a dumb Homecoming dance. It's no big deal.'

'So you're not going?' 

Chloe looked at him in exasperation. 'Well, let's see. No one's asked me, so yeah, that would accomplish the not going.'

Pete smiled. Chloe's smartass attitude and enthusiasm for life, coupled with her dry sarcasm and great looks, were a real turn-on for him. He decided to take a deep breath and plunge right in. 'Well, maybe we could go together,' he casually suggested.

Chloe raised one blond eyebrow and smiled. 'You and me?'

'Not as a date-date thing,' he added quickly on seeing the amusement in her eyes. 'But, you know, more like a friend-friend thing.'

Before Chloe had a chance to respond Clark came up behind them. 'Hey guys,' he said.

Sometimes Clark's timing is completely off, Pete thought with an inward groan.

'Hey, Clark,' Chloe beamed at him. 'What's happening?'

'Thought I'd just take a wander down. There's nothing doing back home,' he shrugged.

'I know what you mean,' Chloe nodded. 'These last few days of summer break, it's like everyone's in limbo.'

Clark nodded and then caught sight of Lana behind the counter; he turned back to Pete and Chloe. 'I'll catch you later,' he said and trotted off towards her. 'Hey,' he said throwing himself down onto a vacant stool.

'Hey,' Lana smiled at him. 'Is this a friendly visit or do you want to buy something?'

'I'll have a caramel latte.'

'Coming up.'

'You on your own tonight?' he asked looking around him, while she prepared his drink.

'Kennedy's in the kitchen,' she said. 'I don't know how I've coped for so long without her. I'm really enjoying having her here.'

'You think the two of you might become good friends?'

Lana smiled. 'I'd like to think so,' she nodded. 'She's really nice and she has a wicked sense of humor. She must be really brightening things up at the Luthor mansion.'