She pulls away somewhat uncomfortably and wipes her wet cheeks. It was hard to see more with him. Yes, he's a girl's dream, but to her, he's also Brenner. "I can't be with you." She declares.

"Why?" He didn't hesitate to question. His whole demeanor changed. His normal all-party became all business.

"You're a huge flirt for one. And, I don't believe you want a serious relationship. Will I end up being just another girl? Maybe you're not used to having a girl that's a friend without being able to stick your tongue down her throat. I don't want to be the test dummy. I don't know what's gotten into you lately but, remember who you're talking to. I've seen you in action."

He doesn't respond. He seems to be listening. Really taking it all in.

"I don't want to risk it." She continues. "Think about how bad family dinners would be. And have you asked yourself the question, is your empathy for me because you simply care more than you would one of the girls you haven't known for years?"

For the first time, Landen was speechless, and his ego bruised. What's his response? What's his defense? It was all true. What words could he change her mind with? What words could make her believe that he knew what he was feeling? What poof did he have to assure her?

"Look, Landen, I believe you care for me... but in more of a best friend kind of way. "Can we stay there?" She brings forth the best smile she could muster.

He gets up from the chair, presses a light kiss on her cheek, and leaves the houses without responding. The last thing she wanted to do was hurt him but it seems to be inevitable.

Later that evening she lay wide awake in her bed restless. She was a home-wrecker. She just threw a wrecking ball at Ryan and Ana's house, and the worst part of this all, was that she enjoyed it. Every cell in her body drenched in it.

Her phone vibrates on her nightstand unexpectedly. She reaches for it and, its Ryan.

Holy hell, why was he calling her? Probably to tell her what a big mistake they made. She didn't want to hear it, she already knew. She rejects the call. Back to her guilt.

Ryan was sitting on his bed, in his bedroom, with the lights completely shut off. He glared down at River's name in his phone and presses the send button for the second time. And once again he gets her voicemail
He lost control, he knew that and wanted to apologize. He would never take advantage of her and hoped she didn't feel that he did.
All he could think about was River. What they had done, and how it felt. It replayed over and over in his mind.

"Why are you sitting in the dark?" The lights suddenly come on, and Ana strolls in.

He doesn't reply. He stands, pushes his hands in his pockets, and clears his throat. He felt guilty and has been keeping his distance since they arrived home.

"What's wrong?" Her voice light and unsuspecting at first. That soon changed.

He lets out a breath. His eyes roamed the whole bedroom, not being able to look at her. He was ashamed and didn't know how to say his next words.

"Whatever it is, spit it out. You've been avoiding eye contact with me since yesterday, and I'm sick of it. What did you do? Huh?" She gets close enough to push his chest.

He doesn't budge, nor did he budge when she does it again.

"What did you do?" She shouts this time. Tears fill her hurt, betrayed eyes. She bites down in frustration. "Tell me!"

He crosses his arms behind his back while still looking at the ground. "I'm going to finish this project I have with your father and go with him on his trip next weekend." He clears his throat. "After that-"

"Are you breaking up with me?" Realization hit her like a fastball. Her eyes turned to those of a woman scorned. Her feet took mandatory steps back. The tears stop rolling and a new pain reached her heart.

Again, Ryan doesn't reply.

"Answer me." She screams. "This means nothing to you?" She holds up her fingers to show her engagement ring. "Look at me!" She yells. "I deserve for you to look at me! Two years!"

Finally, he lifts his head and meets her watery eyes.

"If you want this relationship to be over then end it and stop being a coward."

"It's over." Two words he spoke and, it was like they echoed.

Anastasia's eyes closed down. She has never felt such pain before. He was reaching in her chest and stopping her heart from its next beat. "You don't see River as a sister, do you?" She folds her arms, brings all her walls back up, and opens her eyes again.

His glances toward the floor again, But then quickly look her in the eye. "No." One simple word.
Seconds pass before the pain of her suspicion being true subsided enough for her to speak again. "What did you do?" She demanded to know.

He shakes his head. Refusing to answer.

"What did you do!" She yells. "I have every right to know. Whatever it is." She points to herself angrily. "It was behind my back."

Ryan realized she was right and with some hesitation confesses. "I kissed her."

"You asshole." She takes her ring off and throws it at him. "I hope you never get her." With that, she storms out of the apartment promising to send someone for her things.
~~~~~~~~~

Hope you're enjoying😊