If You're Happy, I'm Happy [21]

Groaning, Sans had began to awaken from his sleep the very next day, only to find he had a massive hang over. His skull was painfully throbbing and he loathed it with a burning passion. He was going to have to make an agreement with himself, never to drink that much ever again.

"You're finally awake, huh?" A voice spoke from the living room floor. Sans slowly opened his eyes and saw Chara on the carpet with Flowey.

"please don't talk so loud..." Sans grumbled, sitting up at a very toned down pace. He really must have had a lot to drink last night, because everything just sounded like it was a lot louder than it really was, and looking around too quickly just made him want to vomit.

"How lovely. Clearly someone went out drinking yesterday. We thought you were going to go see Frisk." Flowey said, only causing Sans to exhale in frustration.

"for once can we not talk about frisk and our terrible situation. i'm just as aware about it as everyone else." He grumbled, causing the room to fall momentarily silent. Until a voice interrupted the silence from the kitchen doorway.

"Glad to see you awake." She said, and Sans' eyes widened the moment he heard her.

"f-frisk? what are you doing here?" Sans stuttered. Flowey rolled his eyes, going to explain for her.

"She came by this morning." He said and Frisk nodded slowly in agreement.

"Yeah, because I wanted to see you." Frisk admitted, walking over and going to sit next to him on the couch. Sans avoided her stare, just frowning as he had the weird sense of guilt sitting upon his shoulders. Like he shouldn't even be in Frisk's presence.

"i-i'm fine." Sans quietly lied and Frisk sighed, going to place her hand on top of his, taking him by surprise and causing him to look back at her.

"Sans, you're clearly not fine. I heard that you went to Grillby's yesterday to just drink your problems away. Gaster told me." She admitted. "Why didn't you come to see me if you were feeling that lonely?"

For a moment, Sans stayed quiet, not knowing what to say as he stared glumly at the ground. After a long pause, he retracted his hand from under Frisk's, but not without much regret.

"because... it's too hard." He whispered, keeping his eyes to the floor as he spoke, not wanting to see Frisk's reactions to what he was saying. "i hate having to pretend. pretending that we don't care for each other like that when we really do. it hurts. i'm not allowed to kiss you or show you that i love you all because of ajax! and i want nothing more than to do those things, but i'm scared of him somehow finding out and you'll get in trouble because of me. and i don't want you to get hurt because of me..."

"Sans..." Frisk sighed. "If we just stop hanging out with each other altogether, then we're only giving him what he wants. I want to get this whole issue sorted out. And I need you to believe in me." She frowned, looking down and feeling his eyes on her as she continued to speak. "I love you too, and nothing could ever stop me from loving you. That's the truth. You said if I never get things fixed, then I should move onto someone else. But I don't want to do that. I want to stay as yours."

He stared back at her, the two white dots within his sockets just flitting from one of her green eyes to the other. "but i don't want you to be unhappy..." He said quietly, earning a surprised look from Frisk. "if you stay hooked up on me when we can't be together, you're only going to make yourself miserable. and i don't want that. it's fine for me, i can handle it." He weakly smiled. "so... please, frisk. try to find someone who makes you happy - a human. i'll be fine with it, really. if you're happy... then i can be happy for you.

"S-Sans..." Frisk started, but before she got the chance to finish, he suddenly teleported away. Tears began to prick at the corners of her eyes and she slowly shook her head. "I don't want anyone else..."

"Then go after him." Toriel spoke as she entered the room. Frisk glanced towards her as her goat mother smiled at her. "It's clear that he is just upset and confused. He loves you, Frisk. He really, really does. He just doesn't want you to get in trouble or get hurt because of how he feels about you." She went to sit down next to Frisk. "Listen, if you two want to stay together in secret, then you should. You know that all of us will cover for you, we would make sure no one would find out. Not even Ajax." 

"Really...? But couldn't that make all of you get into trouble as well?" Frisk quietly wondered, as Toriel pulled her in for a motherly hug. 

"It's true that if anyone knew, we could. But we would be willing to take the risk for you both. As your friends and your family, we want nothing but the best for you and Sans, as you two are clearly happy with one another. So, go after him and tell him what I told you, and just tell him that you so desperately want to be with him, no one else." Toriel said. Taking in what her mother had said, a new smile made its way across Frisk's lips as she hugged Toriel tightly.

"Thank you, mum." Frisk beamed.

"Do not mention it, my child. Now, go find him. I'm sure he hasn't teleported far." 

****

Sans was busy moping around by himself outside Frisk's house, not knowing what to do with himself. He couldn't go back to Toriel and Asgore's, Frisk was there. It was probably stupid that he was basically avoiding her but he... It was like there was just a physical pain deep inside him with every time he saw her face. He so desperately wanted to love her, but this world didn't want to allow him to. 

"Sans!" Frisk called out to him as she was walking up the path. Sans looked over towards her, startled. Before he'd try to teleport away, she grabbed his hand.

"Don't you DARE try to teleport away!" Frisk snarled in frustration, catching Sans a little off guard as she began to drag him towards the house. He just wasn't going to be able to get out of this, was he?