What Makes Him Happy [20]

Sans had no idea how much he had, but it was obvious that he had had enough to the point of where he was no longer sober. Just sitting at the bar, his chin rested in his forearms as he sat, being a miserable, tearful, drunk mess seeing that he couldn't stop thinking about Frisk. How he longed to still call her his, how he longed to kiss her and hold her. He hated Ajax. So, so much. He had taken everything from him.

"What a surprise it is to see you here." A voice spoke from behind him. Sans recognised that voice belonging to his father. W.D Gaster. "Well, not really. Because Grillby called me. You've had a little too much to drink, don't you think?" He continued, placing himself upon the seat next to Sans. The younger skeleton exhaled, shrugging his shoulders lazily as he didn't know how to respond.

"Sans, I know you're upset about what's been happening. I know you're upset about not being allowed to be with Frisk. But you two are still allowed to be friends until this whole issue is resolved. Isn't that at least something?" He said. When he got no reply, he continued. "If you want to stop Ajax from coming to power so bad, couldn't you just use that time machine you used to go back and stop Chara from altering the past?" Gaster wondered

"don't you think i've already thought of that? if i hadn't scrapped the thing after what happened with chara, seein' as having it was just too risky, that might have been a good idea." Sans grumbled, taking another swig of ketchup before just lazily placing the now empty bottle down onto the bar.

"Well, time travel does come at a price..." He slowly nodded. As the two fell silent, Gaster couldn't help but feel worried for Sans. It was almost like he had became so dependent on her to keep him happy. He truly loved her, that was obvious to everyone and without a doubt, Sans had been the happiest he'd ever been when being able to love Frisk.

However, now that he wasn't allowed to do that, it just seemed like Sans was completely giving up. And Gaster couldn't let him do that. No one could.

"Sans, no matter what happens, we're all here for you and Frisk. We all only want the best for you. It's no good giving up here, because you never know what might happen in the future. It's extremely unpredictable in many ways." Gaster sadly smiled. "Remember before you met Frisk? When you used to sulk around in the underground all by yourself? I may not have been around then, but I was definitely keeping an eye on you. You seemed hopeless. After the past you had because of me, you seemed like you just wanted to give up, because you thought there was no chance of you having a happy ending. But then you met Frisk." Gaster smiled when that seemed to slightly catch his attention as the younger skeleton slowly looked over to his father. "So who is to say that this is how things will stay forever? And I don't see how Ajax is supposed to monitor you both behind closed doors anyway. It's not like any of us are going to rat you out if you continued acting romantically around each other."

"i know none of you guys would rat us out but... i'm just paranoid he'd find out some other way somehow. and i don't want to get frisk into trouble. i'm scared of her getting hurt. her safety has always been my biggest priority, i could never forgive myself if i allowed for her to get hurt because of my own selfish desires."

"But she wants to be with you too, Sans." Gaster pointed out. Sans exhaled, placing his skull in his hands.

"i know... but i just... i don't know what to do. everything is too damn risky and i don't wanna get her into trouble. she's stressed out enough with this whole ambassador job, and i don't want to go and place more on her shoulders." He whimpered, really beginning to break down into a sob when he felt Gaster place a hand on his shoulder. Dammit, he was such a mess. He should have been able to hold himself together, but he couldn't. Sans may not have had a heart, so it would have been better to say that it was like Frisk had captured his soul. She was his everything. The day he was able to tell her how he felt, when she kissed him, he felt over the moon. For awhile he never believed she would feel romantically towards him, that he was just being a fool. That there were so many other people she could have been into. But she decided to pick him.

He only wanted to be hers. He so desperately wanted to stay hers. It's not like he WANTED to give up. But did he really have a choice?

"How about we get you home?" Gaster said, but Sans shook his head.

"i don't want toriel and asgore to see me in such a drunken mess... they'll think i'm incapable." Sans whispered and Gaster shook his head in disagreement.

"No they won't, Sans. They understand you're hurting. It's not your fault for trying to find some way to deal with that pain. Now, come on. Let's get you back home and in bed." He said, helping Sans carefully off his seat. He thanked Grillby for calling him and slowly dragged Sans along, helping him steadily put one foot in front of the other.

It was quite a long walk, seeing as Gaster had to make sure Sans wouldn't go and stumble over the entire way there, but they got there eventually. Gaster knocked on the door, and when getting an answer, he explained the situation to Toriel and Asgore and they happily took him back in, wrapping him in a blanket and allowing him to relax on the couch once more.

All these people were so nice to him, even when he was just an absolute mess. He didn't like being seen as weak, he didn't like people thinking he couldn't handle himself. But maybe it wasn't as bad as he thought it'd be, just letting others trying to help.

It wasn't long before Sans had passed out upon the couch once more, tears sliding down his cheekbones as he closed his eyes. He just tried to ease his mind, thinking about the things that really made him happy.

Frisk...