Forever Hers [19]

The next day, Sans found himself to be slowly woken up, by the feeling of someone gently shaking his shoulder. He wished that was Frisk, but he knew it wasn't. Slowly, he opened his eyes, still exhausted as he hadn't got much sleep last night. But a small, tired smile fell upon his mouth when he saw Toriel's concerned face staring back at him. 

"mornin', tori... sorry, have i been sleepin' for long?" He wondered, going to slowly sit up as everything just felt like it was aching, especially his skull which just contained the biggest headache he had had in a long time. His head was utterly pounding, and he loathed just how miserable he felt. 

"Don't apologise, Sans. I was actually going to allow for you to sleep for much longer. However, I figured you must have been hungry, so I brought you some cereal to eat. I know it might be quite plain and boring, but I wasn't sure if you would have wanted any pie." She said, but Sans just gave her a thankful grin, taking the bowl of milk and cereal from her hands. 

"thanks..." He murmured. Toriel replied with a small "No problem", as she then went to sit down on one of the free spots upon the couch. "this cereal does taste pretty good.

"Well, I'm glad." Toriel chuckled, until a sigh escaped her mouth and her brow furrowed. "I'm extremely sorry about what's been happening. I know it's been... Hard for you both. I'm assuming Frisk still doesn't know you were going to propose to her... So, it's probably taking the most impact on you." She said. All Sans did was shrug, not really wanting to talk upon the subject, otherwise he knew he'd only break down into a sobbing mess again, like he had when speaking to Alphys. "Maybe you should go see her?" 

"honestly... i don't know if i can bear it, tori..." Sans shakily whispered. She gave a sad sigh in response. "i just... i love her so much. but that doesn't matter anymore. i can't kiss her, i can't cuddle up with her anymore... i can't be with the one damn person that makes me happy, all because... because of him.

"I know, Sans... But sitting around, moping, isn't going to change it." She frowned. "Look, at the moment me, Frisk, Asgore... We're all doing whatever we can to try and see if we can get things changed for the better... With not much luck as of yet." She admitted. "But we can't just give up. If we give up, we won't get anywhere, and things will definitely be stuck this way forever. Just go and see her, you might enjoy the company. It's better than spending your time with an old lady." She laughed which earned a faint smile from Sans. He wished he could go and see Frisk without it hurting so deep down, feeling like his soul was slipping into a dark empty abyss that he just couldn't crawl out of. Frisk was the only girl he loved, he couldn't ever go looking for anyone else, no matter how much that man wanted him to stay and breed with his own kind. But Sans didn't want another monster, he wanted Frisk. He wanted to have a future with her, marry her, have a family and grow old together. It sounded so cliche, but he didn't care. He hated that the one thing he so badly needed was far out of his grasp, and there wasn't anything he could do to take it back.

"i might go for a walk. to clear my head." Sans shrugged and Toriel nodded, approving of that idea. She felt it was better to get out, rather than having him spend all his time cooped up inside.

So, after eating and putting his slippers back on, he went to make his way outside, wincing when the sunlight had the nerve to shine in his eyes, blinding him from the world for just a couple of seconds until he could see again. It wasn't making the headache better, but as long as he didn't stare directly at the sun, he'd be fine.

Passing by Frisk's house, he came to a stop, wondering whether or not to pay her a visit. He was clearly hesitant, almost as if he felt paranoid that he was being watched all the time, just making sure that he kept away from Frisk. Exhaling, Sans shook his head and teleported away, landing outside Grillby's. If there was one place he could go to feel at home when he was feeling like he was lost in despair, it was this place.

Sitting at the bar, Sans was glad to see a familiar face: his pal Grillby. Sans may have felt and looked like hell, but he was just glad to be in the presence of his best friend. He always allowed for him to ramble when he was on a down time.

"hey bud. can i have a bottle of ketchup? it'd be a great help." He asked, thanking the monster made of flame for placing exactly what he asked for down on the bar. Grillby stared back at him as he leaned against the wood, placing his hands upon it to keep himself steady.

"You're not looking too good there, friend. Suppose you've been having a rough time because of that Ajax guy." Grillby calmly spoke, earning a nod and a sigh from Sans in response as he removed the ketchup bottle from his mouth.

"you'd be guessin' correctly... seein' as i'm not allowed to see frisk, i thought i'd be better off coming here. just so i don't feel like i wanna go and shatter my soul into two." Sans grumbled, taking another gulp of his ketchup.

"I'm sure you can still be friends, right? He never said monsters weren't allowed to be friends with humans. Just that we aren't allowed to mix romantically with them." Grillby shrugged.

"yeah but, tell me, if you loved someone so, so dearly, but you weren't allowed to be with them, could you go and pretend like everything was okay? i used to be good at hiding how i felt from people. but sometimes the kid can read me like a book, and in this situation, i don't even know how to internalise it. that's how bad it is."

"Well, you shouldn't keep something like love cooped up inside, Sans. Doing that would just drive you crazy." The flame monster responded. "Listen, I know it's difficult, but don't give up hope, okay, buddy?" He frowned when Sans scoffed. "Hey, you're probably not the only one who had a human girlfriend before this whole thing got turned into a giant shit show. Sure, human/monster relationships are kind of rare but--"

"i was going to propose to her." Sans answered glumly, making Grillby fall silent. "and now i've lost my chance... that asshole wants me to be with my own kind? hell no, i love frisk. even if i can't have her, i'd rather die alone than pick anyone else."

She was the only one he would ever love. No matter what. Even if she'd eventually move on and end up with someone else, he'd always stay hooked on her.

He was forever hers.