Chapter 8 - Calum

I heard Tammy as she told me about her life in America and about how a woman named Eugenia, who lived next door to Tammy's childhood house, used to say she wasn't a normal child and that she was too exotic to be. I had no idea who this Eugenia was but I still agree with her. Tammy mentioned something about that woman, Eugenia, telling her that she wasn't alive just because her "mom and dad love each other", but also because she had something special to do with her life. Tammy said she never really thought of it until she moved away and years later she found out that Eugenia passed away.

I could see the pain in her eyes as she told me about Eugenia's death. I could tell that even though she wasn't her family that woman meant a lot to her, and seeing Tammy upset about it made me feel powerless, like there was nothing I could do to make her feel better.

But not everything was sad, Tammy told me about her friendship with Sandra and Cecilia. Turns out that those three did everything together while Sandra was in America. Not that I expected something other than that.

"Alright! Alright! Alright! Midnight is coming and you know what that means! Get your champagne and get ready to welcome the New Year!" The DJ announced interrupting us and taking me and Tammy away from our conversation.

I looked around, everyone was walking back to the tables and the guys came to join us too.

"Maybe I should go with the guys get some champagne." I said not really wanting to leave her alone.

"Sure! I'm gonna talk to the girls a little!" She smiled as I got up and followed the guys

"Guys let's get some champagne!" I said loud enough for the guys to hear.

We walked to the bar as we picked on Luke for being so whipped. I laughed and picked on him too but I couldn't be happier for him.

We've been friends since I can remember and Luke was always a shy kid except when we were away from school, there was even a time he was bullied for that but to me the worst part was that Luke always felt like he wasn't enough. He wouldn't give himself any credit for anything he did and once he found Samantha, the little confidence he had went down the drain as Samantha kept sucking everything he had except his cock. I've always knew she wasn't for him and when Sandra took over and showed him that he was so much more that what he could see, I saw confidence being brought back to my best friend's life bringing a new friend into our lives.

"Let's get ready it's only two minutes till midnight." Luke said as he stood next to Sandra and I stood next to Tammy

"Are you ready to start your New Year in Australia?" I asked lightly shoving Tammy just to get her attention.

"Yes I am! Don't forget to make your wishes!" She said grabbing two glasses and filling them with champagne.

"Wishes?" Why would I make wishes?

"Yeah, when I was kid I heard you're supposed to make wishes to let out some hope to a world of desperate people. If that's true or not I have no idea." She said smiling like an innocent child who's lying about stealing candy.

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!"

"I guess we're even now!"

"We are! To a whole New Year of hope!" I said raising my glass as everyone counted down around us."

"Four, three..."

"Two, one!"

"Happy New Year!" Tammy yelled with the biggest smile on her face.

"Happy New Year Tammy!" I said looking at her as I put down my glass next to hers.

"Happy New Year Calum!" She said throwing her arms around me as we welcomed the New Year together.