Rogue

I charged at the first rogue I see which is a brown wolf with matted fur. Once in front of it, I claw at its face which causes him to jump back.

I use the distraction and pounce, holding him down with my weight I rip his throat out using my canines. I watch as the light from the rogue eyes slowly dull until it lays lifeless beneath me.

I sense for more threats on my land but I only feel members of my pack. A howl in the distance rings through the air, informing everyone the threat has been eliminated.

Searching for my parents, the alpha, and luna of our pack, I pass by many members who continue to be on high alert. Giving some a nod in their direction I continue my search.

My father and mother's shifted forms rub against each other in acknowledgment. It's something mated pairs do when reuniting, often happens after an attack or being away from each other for too long.

Longing for the intimate love that's displayed every day in front of me, I wonder how long it will be before I can display affection to a mate of my own.

A feeling deep within, the feeling of the beast that I carry inside me, growls at the thought of not having another half as I do.

Athena, my beautiful human mate, was a shock to my family. It's not known to be paired with a human, no such thing has been heard.

My human side is only to blend in with the rest of the world, mates are paired by the spirit of our wolves. Being a human, Athena will never feel the mate bond as much as I do.

"Report to the hall." The voice of my father rings through my mind like an echo.

His command is immediately obeyed by the members of the pack, I follow the command and shift out of my morphed form. Being an alpha son has its perks but no matter your relation, besides being mated to one, an alpha command is unbreakable.

That command will always be obeyed, no matter what, if not it will be deemed as a challenge.

Just as my father wanted, our pack gathers in the hall, chatter fills the room about the recent attack on us. Never in my eighteen years of life has there been an attack on us, that I know of.

There have been a few sightings of rogues beyond our territory but never was one brave enough to cross it.

"As you all know we were recently attacked by", The hall immediately quiets down upon hearing the alpha's voice.

"We don't know why they have attacked here considering there're hasn't been an attack on us in years." Members nod agreeing with my father who stands before them on a platform.

"I would like volunteers to help double up on border patrol if you wish to do stay behind after I dismiss the meeting. " My father speaks with authority, his tone itself holds power.

"Going onto a less urgent matter, I'd like to confirm the rumor of my son finding his mate, true." Chatter fills the room once again as members whisper amongst themselves.

My father not done speaking growls at the disrespect quieting the room once more, "I have only heard the future luna is indeed a human, we shall crown her and my son, your future alpha when she is ready.

"She has yet to know of our world and it will remain that way until Kaden has the right time to tell her, you're dismissed." Member scatters while gossiping, some stare at me with bright smiles while others seem surprised to know she's human.

Leaving the hall I groan in frustration at the thought of Athena not accepting me for who I am. Not wanting to socialize I head into my room sighing knowing my pack will now be restless waiting to meet her.

I just need some time for her to trust me, a lot of it.

The smell of rogue stench clings to me, jumping up with a groan I head into the bathroom. Turning on the water I hop in, instantly letting the water flow over my head.

Flashes of Athena play on my mind but I'm soon sucked into the back of my mind as an image plays.

A dull image of Athena wrapped in my arms is seen, her lips move mouthing words I can't hear.

"What is this, this thing between us?" I read on her lips.

Her question shocks me, to say the least, not because of the question itself but because I ran out on her.

The vision of Athena questioning me before pushing me off of her all plays out, I can do nothing but watch as she tries to shake me out of my state.

My state being mind linked when one bound by blood is instantly connected telepathically. Once Jonas tapped into my mind for communication all of my other senses cut off.

I should have denied him access at the time, then I could have answered her, telling her all she needed to know if she wanted. Though, my duty is to my pack.

"Dammit," I growl out in frustration.

Questions invade my mind like a wave, up and leaving like that doesn't look good on my end. She must think low of me and the thought upsets me and the beast.

A beast I like to call, Ace.

My vision returns as the shower water run over my exhausted body, I wash myself of any traces of another scent before finishing and getting out.

While preparing for a much-needed sleep I groan at the hole I'm in with my mate. The urge to go see her and confirm the feelings I have for her is much too greater than my will not do so.

Shaking my head at the idea I climb into bed before my changes, turning off my nightstand light I'm consumed with darkness.

Tomorrow I will make sure Athena knows my feelings towards her.