Chapter 63

Harry

Harry

"Lift it a bit higher, yes that's right. Shoulders back, foot out. Good, now take a deep breath and focus on the target, alright? Focus on where do you want the blade to go." I watch as Elena gives instructions to Tommy, standing behind him, her hands on his shoulders.

We came to visit him and the rest of the kids in a special sanctuary hours away from Hazard, secluded and protected perfectly. It's been a while since I last saw them and I missed them. Their elated faces when they saw us were priceless, the biggest grin appearing on my face. Each of the little ones hugged me, but there was one special person missing, a dull ache spreading through my chest at the mere thought. My Little Dove.

"Well, it's official," Tommy says once he throws the knife and it doesn't even reach the target, falling a few metres away from it. "I suck at this."

"It takes practice, this time it almost hit the target," Elena comforts him as she picks up the knife. "Wanna try again?" She hands him the knife and he continues with the practice, his smile plastered to his face.

I walk toward them, the back of my hand brushing against Elena's, making her take it, slipping her fingers between mine. I glance down at our hands before a small smile spreads over my lips, my eyes gazing up into hers only to see she's already looking at me. "Tomorrow. . ." I mumble.

"I know," she says. "Have faith, Harry."

After we're done here, Elena is going to leave to Vortex, doing her part of the plan. I wish I could be there with her to make sure nothing happens to her, but I have my own duty to take care of. Our future depends on whether or not she succeeds into convincing Isaac she's on his side. But I trust her, I know she can do it. It's just my irrational paranoia that's wiping away any positive thought I might have, only the worst case scenarios running through my head.

Elena places her free hand on the nape of my neck, pulling me toward her, her lips pressing to mine while our hands are still linked. A sense of relief and calmness rushes through me at the gesture, my lips moving softly against hers. I know she's trying to comfort me, knowing I need it now more than ever. What happens tomorrow won't be just another fight, it's going to be a real war and whoever is the last one standing is the winner. Whoever is left is going to decide what happens to this country and all the people in it. 

And we'll make sure it's us who get that choice. We'll make sure we bring the war to its end, we'll make sure we get a taste of what peace feels like, of what is like to wake up knowing you don't have to worry about grenades dropping out of nowhere, destroying everything. I want to wake up without that feeling in the pit of my stomach reminding me I could lose everyone I love with just one unexpected attack, just a few bullets, a few grenades and they're gone. We deserve to know how is to live in peace, we deserve better. 

"I want a special invitation for the wedding," David says, making us look at him, a smile on his face, blue eyes flicking back and forth between us. "I'm so proud. Not only of you Harry, but you as well, Elena. I have to say I underestimated you and misjudged you, and I'm sorry for that. You are your father's daughter and I don't think my son could've found a better person to share his life with."