Chapter 36

Harry

"Liam, I left you there to keep me updated, not to sing in my ear," I snap at him as his voice comes through the earpiece I'm wearing. I mean the lad is talented, I admit, but I don't give a damn when I'm in the middle of lecturing my soldiers and giving out orders.

"Well, excuseee me for trying to make you feel better when I know you're being tense as shit," Liam replies.

I close my eyes, taking a deep breath and mentally counting to ten. "Just. . . just keep us updated on relevant issues."

"I think it was absolutely lovely and you should do it more often," Niall comments, a teasing grin on his face as he looks at me, earning a hard glare from me.

"Thank you, Niall. It feels nice to be appreciated," Liam answers. "El, join me in this verse, come on."

"Liam, I won't sing- stop nudging me!" There's a clattering sound and some kind of struggling in the background.

"Oh shit, she has a knife!" He yells. "Okay okay, I'm quiet, put that thing down- noo not that low move it away from my jewels!"

I let the two bicker and turn off the connection, turning around to the soldiers I was previously talking to. I begin explaining to them what I expect them to do. "Jess, are you listening to me?" I ask as I snap my fingers in front of her blank face, her arms crossed. "I need you to be focused."

"That's just my face, I always look bored," Jess replies flatly.

"Classic bitch face," Niall says. "Styles here has a magnificent one- oh there it is right now! Oh wait, no that's just his 'I'll smack you' face."

We've stopped the vehicles a few kilometres away from the base, hidden in the depths of the trees. I have decided to put my soldiers on a few key points in case Vortex attacks us. I'll leave some of my soldiers here in the woods in case something happens to us or the enemy tries to trick us so they can prevent them. The next stops are a few kilometres away from the base and in front of it, and the final stop - my stop - is in the heart of the base, right where I'll meet that fuckface Seth. It's all about strategy, and I hope mine will work.

We leave twenty of our vehicles on the first stop. On the second stop, which is out of the woods, where the base is visible standing a kilometre away, I decide to leave thirty. The rest - fifty vehicles in total - are coming with me right in front of the base, where I'll leave them and get inside that hellhole. One wrong move on their part and there won't be a battle here, it will be war.

"We'll help you investigate," Niall says. "As soon as we get David back, we're focusing on finding that betraying fucker and when we find them, I'll let my imagination go wild with their punishment." He smiles mischievously, his eyes holding some kind of evil glint.

Niall may seem cute and all, but there's a killer inside him just waiting to spill blood. Not to mention he's one of my best friends.

"I need coffee," Jess suddenly says, making Niall and I just look at her with blank faces. "With whipped cream, ahh yes some whipped cream would be nice."

"You're so worried about the traitor yet you can't see them when they're right in front of you." I recognise Lia's accented voice and turn around to face her, seeing her arms crossed over her chest, dark eyes finding mine.

"First of all, choose your words carefully when you're talking to me," I warn her, taking a step closer and looking her in the eyes. "And second of all, who are you talking about?"

She snorts, shaking her head. "You're so blinded, it's ridiculous. I'm talking about your little girlfriend back at the base." 

My fists clench, but I let out a forced laugh. "I'm assuming you're referring to Elena? What proof do you have, besides the fact she bothers you and you're jealous of her so you'll make up anything to prove your point?"