Chapter 22

Elena

"This is beautiful," I say as I inspect the sight in front of me. We're at the edge of the forest, standing on a meadow in front of a stream surrounded by grey rocks of all sizes, pouring into the astonishing green lake, its surface glistening. The sky is painted in a dark blue colour with a few large grey clouds scattered over it, indicating a rain. It's a miracle it hasn't rained in over ten days considering the weather here has always been tricky.

When I get no reply, I look at H, noticing how incredibly tense he is, his eyes darting this way and that as if someone is about to jump out and kill us all. I understand him, though, there's clearly something big that has been keeping him locked in the base for so long. It's natural he feels this way, but if this behaviour continues, he might not want to ever get out again. And I'm planning to help him overcome his fear. I know I shouldn't care as much as I do, but it's not like it was my choice.

"You okay, Charming?" I ask, nudging his arm gently.

He winces as if I snapped him from a trance, his eyes shifting on me. "Yeah, I'm-- uh, I'm fine. This is so exciting, huh?"

This is the most unlike him I've ever seen him. He's never really shown this part of his personality, I mostly got to see firm, collected and distant H, but as the time went by, his softer side has become transparent. He's shy at times, paranoid, overly dramatic and incredibly suspicious, but I fancy every single one of those traits. All of his flaws and virtues create one amazing persona I have just begun getting to know.

"Do you remember that week when thunderstorms were raging like a pack of horny lions and you let me stay with you?" I hear Louis say to Tori.

"I've never heard someone scream bloody murder so loudly as I have the first night of that week," Tori replies, starting to laugh.

"As much as it hurts my masculinity, I have to say that was probably some kind of record," he comments, smiling and looking at her fondly as she laughs louder.

"I give them three minutes before they start fighting," H tells me quietly.

I smile, noticing Alex and Jess standing a few metres away, smiling and talking, looking rather close. He suddenly plucks a flower and hands it to her, causing her to widen her smile. I stifle a laugh when she also plucks a flower, giving it to him. Alex places a hand to his chest, pretending to wipe away his non-existent tears. They both laugh.

My smile falters because I know if we get too attached to people in Hazard, we will most certainly be hurt in the end.

"What is it, sad eyes?" I hear H ask me, my eyes shifting on him. He's looking at me, green eyes searching my features.

"I should ask you the same," I reply, putting on a smile.

He looks away, being silent for a few moments. He then crouches and sits down on the grass, his arms circling his knees. "I need a story."

"What?" I ask in confusion, copying his movements and lowering myself beside him.

"For Alice," he clarifies. "She told me how you always tell them stories and I'd like you to. . . borrow me one or something."

I smile at the thought. "You should know I mostly make those stories up, they're nothing special." 

"At least I know why you call me Charming," he says teasingly, dimples popping on his cheeks as he shifts onto his elbows.

"Yeah, you're my knight in shining armour."

"Damn right I am," he answers. "I mean, look at me."

My eyes glance at his tempting lips then back to his sparkling green eyes. If it weren't for our company, I would surely kiss him without much thought. I'm falling for him too fast and I'm nowhere near prepared for it, but in this moment, I don't care. He's beautiful.