Chapter 19

Harry

My whole body is tense as my eyes carefully scan the enemy army displayed in front of us, on our territory.  There's a man standing proudly in front of them, so it's not hard to conclude he's their leader. I have never seen him since he hasn't been in the position for too long, four years tops.  I do know his name is Seth and I do know the way he trains his soldiers and leads the army is absolutely ruthless and brutal, despite the conditions we're living in.

And I do know he's to blame for everything.

"H, don't do anything stupid," Niall whispers behind me. "Even though I can't see your face, I know you have that killer look."

"Stay out of this," I tell him firmly, keeping my eyes trained ahead. When their leader suddenly begins walking toward us, my hold on my weapon tightens. I notice his soldiers aren't following him, so I decide to do the same as him. He wouldn't dare kill me on Hazard territory, despite this little act he's doing to presumably intimidate us.

"Son, get back here!" David orders, his hand grabbing my arm, but I quickly pull it from his grip.

"Tell them to wait," I say, quickly glancing over my shoulder. "I'll handle this. Trust me. . .dad."

His eyes slightly widen and he nods, stepping back and turning to the soldiers. I stop walking, not wanting to stray too far from the base, waiting until Seth finally approaches me. When he does, none of us says anything, taking a moment or two to glare at each other, a few steps separating us.

He's as tall as I am, his cropped blonde hair falling over his forehead in short strands. A pair of blue-green eyes are looking at mine, his jaw firmly clenched, a medium-sized scar covering the skin on his left cheek. In all honesty, he looks like an asshole.

"You're far too young to be David," he says and I detect an accent in his voice which is not that common for people from Vortex. "So you are. . .?"

Oh he talks like an asshole, too.

"Very impatient," I snap. "What the hell are you and your damn army doing on our territory?"

He chuckles, licking his lips quickly. "Visiting. We're here to give you a warning."

Now is my turn to chuckle. "Oh do tell. You have a minute before I pull the trigger."

"You kill me, they kill everyone," he says, motioning to his army. "The attack your army had inflicted upon ours means one thing – war. So I came to warn you personally of our upcoming revenge and give you a slight insight of my power. Soldiers behind me are barely one third of the army."

I can't believe this bitch. He's not just an asshole, he's a bragging asshole.

"Soldiers behind me are worth twice as much as yours. The reason is they have a quality leader who is not turning them into ruthless killing machines," I say, my tone reflecting my sour mood. "Fuckface," I mumble quietly, but based on his narrowed eyes, I take it he's heard me. Good.

"You don't win wars by being good and honest. You win them by killing and destroying. It's simply how it works." He shrugs and I hate it that he's right. But I'd never stoop to his level, I'd never want to win the war that way. "The end always justifies the means."

I don't know what's stopping me from punching him, but I know it won't last long. "You set us up with that attack on Rogue, so we'd decided to get even. Consider yourself lucky it didn't go exactly as we planned, but next time it'll be much better, I promise." I give him a fake smile before my face suddenly turns serious. "Now, get the fuck out of our territory."