Chapter 54

Elena

"Alex, for the last time, I can walk and take care of myself, I'm not dying," I tell him as he makes sure to prance around me when I walk into my room, careful where he touches me since my body is still sensitive, having been only two days since what happened in the solitary cell.

"Fluffy pillows, we need fluffy pillows," Alex says as he starts fixing my bed for me, grabbing two pillows on it and groping them. "Ugh, these pillows don't have enough fluff!"

"Alex I don't need- you know what, you're right, why don't you go and try to find me some all the way on the far end of the base where we keep the supplies?" I ask him sweetly, knowing he'll listen and let me have my few minutes of peace.

I love my brother, I really do and he's been nothing but helpful for the past two days, but offering to wash my hands for me or feed me is a bit too much. Not to mention the time he tried to braid my hair because it might "brush against the wounds on my skin and infect them and I could die".

"Yes, I'll do that, of course, I'll find the softest blankets and fluffiest pillows for you, you just wait." He grabs my hand and pulls me toward the bed, gently pushing me to sit down on it, then grabbing my ankles and lifting them up. "Okay, let me tuck you in-"

"Alex I really really need those fluffy pillows, just go." I smile at him and pry his hands away gently.

"Be right back, just don't move until I come back- you know what, just don't to anything!" He turns and walks out of the room only to open the door two seconds later and peek inside. "You can breathe and blink, though-"

He's unable to finish his sentence because Tinkerblade flies through the air and impales into the doorway. "Okayyy love you too, be right back!" He closes the door and leaves.

My face grimaces as I quickly sit up, having troubles to lie on my back from the wounds on my back. I can barely walk without feeling the burning pain. I pull at the necklace hanging around my neck, looking at the ring dangling from it, a constantly present ache in my chest only growing whenever I look at it and remember its meaning. Sometimes I like to be masochistic and torture myself with thinking about the time Harry and I last saw each other, and he told me he loved me.

Ah yes, I love dying on the inside.

Soft knocks on my door snap me from my melancholic state, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion, knowing it's impossible for Alex to come back already. I silently stand up and walk toward the door, pulling my knife from the doorway while reaching for the handle, swiftly opening the door. My knife is protectively lifted in front of me as I ready myself to fight if necessary.

"Whoa that's- that's a dangerous sharp pointy thing really close to my face," a soldier standing in front of me says, a nervous smile on his face as he lifts his index finger, placing it on the tip of my knife and pushing it away gently.

My body tenses at the sound of his voice, my eyes widening. I would recognise that voice anywhere. I look at the kind eyes of the man in front of me, tousled dark hair on his head, slight stubble dusted over his cheeks. This man is my saviour.

"It's- it's you, oh my God, it's really you!" I exclaim excitedly and step closer to him, throwing my arms around his neck and pulling him in a hug. I inhale his scent, a wide smile forming on my lips.

"Oh yay, we're hugging, I wish it was this easy with all girls," he mumbles while releasing a nervous chuckle. "I'm joking by the way, I have respect for women, women are really nice and you're really nice- not that I'm flirting-"

I pull away and inspect his face as I raise my hands and squish his cheeks between my palms then pinch them gently, watching as he looks at me in confusion. "It's so amazing to be able to match the voice with the face- wait, you're so handsome, wow."