Chapter 30

Harry

You know that awkward situation when you're trying to avoid someone, and you've been doing it successfully for a few days but then you remember you're in war and you need that person to go on a mission with you? Yeah well, it's shit.

I've obviously been avoiding Elena and not a single second of it was pleasant. She might say what happened wasn't my fault, but I did that to her. I can't look at her without remembering her pained expression when she was clutching her stomach or the red marks from my grip on her neck. It doesn't matter I wasn't myself when I did it, it doesn't matter I was hallucinating, it's the fact I'm dangerous.

David snaps his fingers in front of my face. "Hey it's me, your dad, who is not getting any younger so could you focus?"

I purse my lips, realising I blanked out. "Speak, old man."

"I may be old, but I can still take you."

"Yeah alright grandpa." He smacks the back of my head. "Hey!"

"Purely educational," he says. "It's what us walking fossils do when you offsprings mess up."

I sigh, rolling my eyes. "Just tell me why I'm here."

"I had a talk with Louis and Liam, they will be joining you and Elena on this mission. Tori and Jess are coming too once I have a talk with them. Since Elena and you are the ones who will speak with Ace, I need to work out some final, but important details with the two of you."

The door bursts open and in rushes Elena, chest heaving, lips parted. "I'm-" she lifts her finger to give her a minute while she props her other hand against her knee "-running-" she takes a few deep breaths "-stairs-" another breath "-sorry."

"Oh-kay," David stretches the word. "Sit down child, you don't want me to give you CPR and this one right here can only kill you faster if he tries." 

I scoff. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me, boy, now sit down." He stands at the head of the table, his hands gripping the edges.

Elena is already sitting slumped in one of the chairs, legs sprawled in front of her, arms hanging on her sides as she slowly catches her breath. I pull a chair for myself and plop down on it, leaving one chair between us, not wanting to sit close.

"Well that doesn't hurt at all," she mutters, a frown on her face.

I glance at her, but quickly look away. "We don't have all day," I tell David.

"Right," he says. "Before I start I was thinking, there will be only six of you going so I can definitely add more soldiers, about fifty or even hundred to go with you, whatever it takes you just say the word and I'll-"

"Woah there, take is easy man," I say, lifting my hands. "We don't need the whole army, it'll look like an attack."

"Yeah right sorry, I'm just really excited you're doing this and I just want you to be as comfortable as you can, son, I know how you feel when you have to leave the base." He smiles nervously, looking proud which makes me smile as well, but I make sure to hide it.

"Don't worry, David, we'll be able to handle it," Elena says, smiling reassuringly. "It will be okay."

"Right, of course, silly me. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that this is our last - and when I say last, I mean last - chance to make an alliance and actually win this war. At least win against Vortex, that is. Do not under any circumstances make any snarky comments in front of Ace or much less call him nicknames." He looks at me when saying that. "Don't threaten him with any weapons or punch anyone." He looks at Elena this time. "And please, please don't mess this up." His eyes flick back and forth between us.