Chapter 31

Elena

I scream when I see Harry falling down into the water, my heart dropping to my stomach in utter shock. I'd stumbled down onto the ground and tore my hand from his, but he didn't stop running as if he wasn't aware what was in front of him. I'm certain he had another flashback.

I don't think twice before running toward the edge of the waterfall and jumping down, diving into the water after being in the air for a few seconds. My body drops into the water legs first and I'm so grateful it's not too shallow, it appears to be at least three to four metres deep because my feet didn't touch the ground. My hair is sticking to my face and I push it away, blinking a few times to clear my vision. My eyes frantically search for Harry as I keep turning around, swaying my arms to keep myself on the surface. 

When a thought he's most definitely underwater strikes me, I dive in an instant, my eyes having a blurry vision of what's underneath, but enough to detect him. I'm thankful our uniforms are black because I spot his floating body with ease, directing all of my energy into my arms and legs to push me toward him as fast as possible. My lungs are soon begging for air, the pressure in my chest strong, forcing me to get some air.

I manage to reach Harry, my hand grabbing his wrist and pulling him toward me, my hands grabbing him underneath his armpits as my legs are swinging with a large force to get us both toward the surface. When my head emerges out of the water, I immediately take a deep breath, air filling my lungs blissfully. Harry's body weighs me down, but I ignore it, turning him around and wrapping my arm around his torso, making sure his head is above the surface of the water. I use one arm and my legs to swim while keeping him close, adrenaline being the only thing preventing me from collapsing. 

Luckily, the shore is near so I don't have to swim for too long before my feet touch the ground. I turn and grab Harry's arms, pulling him out of the water while moving backwards, breathing heavily as I struggle to do so. I drop down to my knees, panic slowly taking over me as I realise his chest is not moving, his lips already becoming blue from the oxygen blockage and water in his lungs.

"No, no, no," I mumble, quickly positioning beside him and placing my hands one over another onto his chest while interlocking my fingers, beginning to do heart compressions rhythmically to push the water out of his lungs. Despite being tired, I manage to find enough strength, putting as much force into it as I can. Giving up is not an option.

"Don't think I'm going to let you die like this," I say through gritted teeth. "You'll be safe, everything will be okay," I try to assure myself, not wanting to let my feelings get the best of me. He's going to be okay.

Seconds pass and there is no reaction from him, but I keep putting pressure on his chest, getting weaker with each compression, my heart pulsating in my ears, a burn in my strained muscles reminding me I'm getting weak. I begin altering between giving him mouth to mouth breathing and heart compressions, praying my strength can last long enough.

"Come on, Harry," I mumble, grunting in pain, sweat breaking on my skin. "Come on!" Tears slowly brim my eyes.

His lips suddenly part and water shoots out of his mouth in spasms as he coughs, his eyes snapping open. A long, sharp breath is inhaled into his lungs, his hands pushing him up into a sitting position, green eyes wide, his pale, ghost looking face already getting some colour. His palm presses against his chest as he keeps coughing. He gets an urge to vomit a few times, but manages to keep it all in, panting heavily.

A huge wave of relief washes over me in those few moments, I can't help but laugh, placing my hand over my chest and breathing deeply as if I was the one lying half dead moments ago. I close my eyes to calm down, giving Harry time to catch his breath and recover. When I notice he seems to be okay, I can't contain myself and basically tackle him, my arms wrapping around his neck, pressing him tightly to me. He lets out a cough and a surprised gasp, his back hitting the ground from my sudden action.