Chapter 13

Elena

It's been a few days since H has allowed Alex and me to go on the mission and we have been spending almost all of our free time planning it to the tiniest detail. And today, we're finally ready for the attack, each person going on the mission knowing their part in it. Things have been hectic since early dawn, with soldiers running around, packing weapons and preparing the vehicles for our trip to the East where Vortex is settled.

H has been very professional with me these past few days, referring to me only as "soldier" while I settled for calling him "sir". His push and pull attitude confuses me, it seems as if he's attracted to me yet he's fighting against it, wanting to do what he feels is the right thing. I believe it's better we maintain our relationship like it is, I shouldn't allow myself any attachments to anyone in here since I know for certain it wouldn't last.

I'm currently in one of the weaponry storage rooms, looking at a wide, impressive collection of knives sprawled on tables in front of me. I've run out of places to put them, both of my boots are full, my uniform is completely loaded, my belt heavy with a few guns. I'm armed enough to take down the whole base myself, I can only imagine what hundreds of us will do to Vortex.

"Hello," a voice says behind me, familiar, yet not enough for me to be able to match the voice with the face.

My body swivels, my eyes locking with the pair of brown ones belonging to Liam. "Hey," I reply, uncertain how to speak to him since this is the first time he's directly spoken to me.

"We haven't officially met," he says as he takes a few steps toward me, a slight smirk on his face. "I'm Liam." He extends his hand, his heavily tattooed arms and neck on display since he's wearing a plain black v-neck.

My hand envelopes his cold one, my head nodding. "Yes, I know. I'm--"

"Elena," he finishes for me, pulling his hand from mine. "We're grouped together and we're going in the same vehicle, so I didn't want things to be awkward. Louis and Tori are also with us."

"Great," I say, my hands playing with one of the knives. "You ready for the attack?"

"Oh, I'm always ready," he replies, his lips pulling in yet another smirk. "I've heard you're good with knives," he adds, his head nodding toward the one I'm holding. "Since we're in the group together, mind showing me what you can do?"

I contemplate his offer, my eyes glancing at all the people around us. "Here?" He nods, pulling his pierced lower lip with his teeth. "Alright, stand by that wall." I motion to our left.

"You won't use me as the target, right? I'm too attractive to die," he jokes.

"I guess you'll just have to trust me," I taunt, my lips forming a smirk.

He chuckles, his body moving toward the wall a few metres away, his back pressing against it. "Stay away from this," he points to his face, "and especially this area," he motions to his crotch. "I need both."

I take a few knives in my hands, stepping a bit closer to him, but far enough for it to be a challenge. My eyes narrow as I calculate the distance, my body taking a special stance. I shift all the knives in my left hand, freeing the right one I use for throwing. "Ready?"

"Aye, captain." He winks.

I take the first knife, lifting my hand and placing my right foot forward, finally throwing the knife. It whizzes through the air, landing just beside his left ear. "You still want me to continue?" I ask, taking in his now pale face, no trace of a smile on it.

"Of course." He nods, his Adam's apple bobbing as he takes a gulp. "Go on."

I shrug nonchalantly, throwing another knife which lands beside his right ear. I then proceed to throw the rest of them, almost outlining his whole body on the wall. When I'm done, a few cheers and claps echo around me, my head turning to see what's the commotion about. I haven't noticed a few soldiers that have been watching me throw the knives, their expressions showing amusement.