Chapter 26

Harry

A few days have passed since our battle with Vortex, yet we're still recovering from our losses. Not to mention my flashbacks have got worse, but I try not to let it control me and break down again. All of my focus is on making up a plan to get back at Vortex in such way, it'll take them a while to recover. But in order for us to do that, we need more soldiers and supplies, two things we're lacking the most.

"The East is obviously off limits, Ace doesn't want any alliances so the South is off limits as well. . . for now." David looks at me knowingly. "We've had two major battles with Vortex so far and only one was successful, but the losses were grand. One more battle like that and we could be out of the picture. It's safe to say we're. . . well, we're in deep shit, so I'm open to suggestions, we need all the help we can get," he finishes his speech, blue eyes scanning each of us.

Alex lifts his hand, but I quickly say, "for the last time, you don't have to ask when you need to go to the bathroom, just bloody go!"

He makes a peace sign and lowers his hand, the chair awkwardly screeching against the floor as he stands up.

"I've got a solution," Elena speaks, all eyes shifting on her. Alex stops in his tracks, looking torn whether to go or stay. He sighs deeply and sits back down.

"What-- wait, wait," Liam quickly says, immediately stopping swinging back and forth on the back legs of his chair he's been doing for the past five minutes. Silence fills the room as he awkwardly adjusts in his seat, clearing his throat and giving us all a small wave. He leans his elbows against the table, looking at Elena with interest. "Okay I'm ready. Do tell."

Elena gulps, looking slightly nervous for some reason and I've rarely ever seen her like that. It could be because she still feels like everyone's judging her and Alex because they're from Vortex. "There's one option no one has really considered in years," she says. "What if you tried to strike a deal with Wildfire?"

I lift my eyebrows in surprise as murmurs fill the room. "But they're not at war anymore, no one even knows if the base is functioning."

"I can confirm it is," Elena replies, now looking at me. "And there's obviously a reason, they're maybe waiting for an opportunity to attack and I bet Vortex is their priority number one. So why not make an alliance with them?"

"I think it's worth the try, besides, all of El's ideas so far have proven to be efficient," Niall says, flashing her a smile.

Ever since Niall saved her life, they've grown much closer and developed a special kind of relationship, but not in a romantic kind of way. It's the type of friendship that lasts for a lifetime and it could never be more than that, it's the one I have with Niall and the rest of the people in this room, despite the fact I've been keeping distance for a long time.

"Absolutely not," David suddenly speaks, making everyone stop talking.

Elena's surprise is evident on her face, but it doesn't last for too long. "Why not?"

"Because I said so," David replies sternly. "We won't side with them, we don't need their help."

"Yeah okay, but you said we need all the help we can get, so?" Louis comments.

"Yes, but not their help." David glares at him, making him shrink back in his seat slightly.

"With all due respect, sir, I think you should think about it," Elena persists. "Both Vortex and Rogue have strong armies, but their territories combined are nothing compared to Hazard's. There's plenty of economic, financial, and political advantages in the North, anyone would kill to own that part of the country, hence Vortex's obsession with Hazard."