Chapter 32

Harry

I stir from my sleep when someone shakes my shoulders, my eyes opening in panic. A wrinkly face comes into my sight, scaring the living shit out of me at first until I realise it's Em, the lady who let us stay in her home last night.

"You two need to leave right now!" She says quietly, glancing toward the door. "My husband has reported you to Rogue and the soldiers will be here to take you away any second. I'm so sorry, but he keeps saying you're our enemies, he's very old, paranoid, and has prostate issues-"

"Oh," I comment, covering my mouth when I yawn. "It's fine, your husband did us a favour without being aware. Thank you for telling us, we'll be out soon."

She blinks in confusion and I manage to convince her it's really okay. When she leaves the room, I look at Elena, seeing she's sleeping soundly, but once again, in an odd position, right at the edge of the bed. One push and she'd fall down. . . again. My arm wraps around her waist and I pull her toward the middle, waking her up and making her groan and almost punch me in the face, but luckily, I have fast reflexes.

"Get up, sunshine, we're about to be taken, so let's take our time to get prepared," I say.

Elena is quiet for a few moments until she suddenly lifts her head, her widened eyes meeting mine. "Say what?" She asks in a tired, groggy voice. "Who's getting taken where?"

"Well Pat apparently reported us to Rogue and they should be here to take us away any second now," I explain. "It's exactly what we wanted, so rise and shine, fake wife."

"Great, can't we get arrested at afternoon or something, why does it have to be at dawn," she complains.

It takes her a few minutes to get out of the bed and I can't help but burst into laughter at the sight of her in a loose grandma style dress with flowers on it. She glares at me and takes out her pocket knife, shutting me up instantly. Both of us end up getting dressed into our uniforms again, and I'm grateful Em was nice enough to actually clean them for us.

We leave the room and thank Em for welcoming us into her home and she makes us promise her we'll bring our twins for her to meet them once they're born. Pat is glaring at us and grumbling something incoherent, knowing very well the twin story is a lie. When we step out of the house, we have something to see. A couple of vehicles and a few dozen of armed men in olive uniforms are standing a few metres in front of us, waiting to take us away. Elena and I approach them casually, relaxed expressions on our faces.

"Oh good, our free ride is here," Elena says.

One of the soldiers steps out. "We've come here to take you with us as our-"

"Okay no problem, let's go," I say with a shrug.

He blinks. "Uuh, so resistance is futile-"

"Yeah yeah, can we just get in the vehicle?" Elena interrupts, tapping her foot impatiently.

"We won't hesitate to-" Elena and I groan "-okay you know what, I give up, just enter the vehicle," the guy says with a sigh.

Once they take away our weapons, we sit in the back seat, silently driving toward Rogue. We requested to see their leader and reaching Ace shouldn't be a problem now. The problem is convincing him to join us, to help us defeat Vortex. I glance at Elena, her face blank, showing no emotions. It bothers me that despite everything she's told me about herself, I still don't fully trust her. Not even after saving my life, which is completely ridiculous. I want to be at ease with her like she expects me to be, but simply wanting something is sometimes not enough.

She must've noticed I'm slightly anxious because she reaches for my hand silently, taking a hold of it. The gesture makes me smile, but the veil of doubt is still present.