Chapter 52

a/n: I don't usually do this because I don't want to spoil anything, but this chapter has highly sensitive content revolving around abuse, so be warned. I care about my readers and I don't want to trigger anyone so make sure to scroll to the end of the chapter if you want to skip it. :)

Elena

When I enter the gym to find my brother, I notice one of the superiors holding Alex by his collar, seemingly threatening him. Anger instantly courses through me and I pull out my knife, pacing toward them, ready to fight. I grab the superior's shoulder, making him release my brother and turn around, pressing the knife blade against his throat, making him widen his eyes in horror.

"Well, look who it is. Hello Eric," I say with a fake smile, taking in his frightened expression. "Touch my brother one more time and I'll slit your throat."

All attention seems to be on us as a group of people piles around the three of us, watching the scene with interest. Eric, the very familiar superior I used to have many fights with pulls his lips in a smirk and lifts his hands in surrender. "Ahh Elena, it's been so long. I see you're more bold now." He glances at the knife in my hand. "You know, Seth won't be here to protect you all the time, remember that."

"He doesn't protect me, I do," I reply. "Pull shit like this one more time and it's game over for you, remember that." I lower my weapon, motioning for Alex to follow me as I leave the gym.

"Whoa, that was amazing, but you know you might get in trouble later Lenny, maybe you should've let him punish me, I don't mind-" Alex starts.

I stop walking and point my finger at him. "I will never let them touch a single hair on your head, is that clear? Don't ever repeat that again, I don't care what happens to me. Besides, they're all afraid to touch me because of Seth and as much as I hate to admit it, it goes to my advantage."

Ever since we came back to Vortex things have been the same as they were before, with me having to spend time with Seth and Alex being a regular soldier. However, Seth is more protective of me than ever, always having someone to watch my every move when he's gone in case I try to run away again. I'm forced to help him with planning the attacks since apparently no one has a better strategy than I do, but I make sure to lie and make poor plans with loopholes so Vortex doesn't stand a chance. I'm working in Hazard's favour even when I'm not there.

When Alex and I left Hazard, we decided we won't leave, but we had only two options if we were to stay. One was becoming deserters which immediately put our lives in more danger and the second option was joining our uncle. We chose the latter, but we never made it to Wildfire, getting attacked by Vortex soldiers waiting for us at the border.

"I don't know why you let them treat you that way. Punch them, kick them, rip their dicks off if you're able to actually find them," I tell him.

He laughs. "That's not me Elena, that's you. I hate violence, you know that. And I know what you're gonna say, how can I let them be violent to me. I guess I'm just used to it."

I place my hand on his shoulder. "Always fight, Alex. Never let them see you weak, never let them treat you how they want. Fight for yourself."

Alex's brown eyes look at mine as his lips form a sad smile. "I love you, Lenny." He wraps his arms around me tightly.

I don't hesitate to return the gesture, a small smile making its way to my lips. "I love you too, Alex."

. . . .

A stern frown settles on my face as I start making my way to the mess hall, making sure everyone sees I'm in no mood to talk so they don't try to approach me. I can feel someone following me, but I don't put much thought into it since I know it's one of Seth's loyal watch dogs, only rolling my eyes.