Chapter 29

Alex

I can't stand children. I really can't. They're loud, obnoxious, very small and blunt. Kind of like Louis.

But I like Louis. Lou is my mate, my sidekick. Why sidekick? Because I'm a god damn hero for putting up with this shit.

"Oh come on Barney, give it back!" I shout at the kid who's stolen my shoe. I look at the binder filled with papers where I'm supposed to write down the progress each of the kids makes, but now I debate using the pen attached to the binder to stab myself. I wonder if I could bleed to death- wait, ew blood.

That Styles guy or H, or whatever letter he wants us to call him, is a natural at this. Kids worship him and so does everyone else apparently. I wish I could borrow some of his natural charisma because I'm stuck being confused, annoyed, and tired 24/7.

But hey, at least I'm hot.

As a bunch of kids ages ten to fourteen make a mess around me, I simply sigh in resignation, lowering myself onto the ground. There are more trainers on duty, but of course they put me with kids in their preteen and early teen years whose hormones are raging. My shoulders slump as I sit in the criss-cross position, groaning in annoyance. Fuck. My. Life.

Someone pokes my shoulder and I turn, looking up at Barney's scared expression, with his shaggy ginger hair and freckles all over his cheeks. He hands me back my shoe and I sharply rip it from his hold.

"Yeah you better give it back you little sh- shampoo." I glare at him.

"I'm sorry," he squeaks and glances behind him nervously. "I won't ever do that again." He then runs away like a little shit he is.

My eyes narrow, looking at the doorway, seeing none other than my sister standing there with a smug expression. She says something to the kid and he nods vigorously, running away from her like she's a demon (I still have some theories about that). No wonder the kid was scared. Elena gives me a wave when her eyes lock with mine, and she walks over to me, her lips pulling in a soft smile.

"Hey dork," she greets me, crouching down beside me. "Did he apologise? If he didn't, I'll-"

"It's fine, he did," I mumble, putting my shoe back on. "Little spawn of satan."

"Wait how did he even get your shoe. . ."

"Little bastards have their ways okay?" I grumble. "Wait, why are you acting all normal? We had a fight, we're supposed to be pissed and ignore each other and like glare when we make eye contact and then frown and look away, maybe cross our arms and call each other names- hey ouch!" I stop my rambling once Elena smacks the back of my head.

"I sometimes wonder if we're even related," she says flatly.

"Same, considering your face and all."

"And considering your microscopic brain and all."

"And I'm still smarter than you." I smirk, trying to tie my shoelaces and failing, starting to curse under my breath.

Elena sighs deeply and swats my hands away, tying them for me. "You were saying, oh wise one?" I frown at that, ignoring her. "Anyway, I came here to apologise, I said some harsh things the other day."

"Yeah you did, that comment about my fear of certain wild beasts was unnecessary."

"Alex you need to understand that squirrels aren't dangerous, they're little fluffy rodents who hide from people, like what is it with you and rodents in general-"

"You don't know them like I do, you don't know my story," I say. "But other than that, I should be the one apologising. I was just worried you'll get in trouble. Now tell me if it's true."