Chapter 9

Elena

"We need to fight back asap," Louis deadpans as all of us look at him.

We're gathered around a table in a huge conference room, monitors, computers, and all kinds of technical devices surrounding us. H has called a meeting to plan his next move since David is gone to handle the situation on the field and he needs to act quickly to prevent more victims. I wasn't formally invited, but no one has complained about my presence yet, besides, this incident with Rogue can be to my benefit, so I wouldn't miss it for the world.

"Yep, blowing shit up sounds perfect," Niall adds. "I volunteer."

More voices chime in, agreeing with him and Louis. There are dozens of us in the room, Tori and Jess included. I believe all the people in the room are people closest to H, or in some way superior to the others; whether it be in skills or experience. H is quiet, standing at the head of the table, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration as he thinks.

"No," I blurt out, everyone's attention now set on me, H's included. "I know Ace and I know how he handles things. He always gets even, but never attacks first."

"So you're saying we attacked him?" H asks, his tone laced with anger.

"No, but something must've triggered his attack. Attacking him would be a huge mistake, you'd officially be in war with Rogue."

"Well, he asked for it," Louis says. "We never attacked them, they obviously did it first. And it's our turn to strike now."

Murmurs fill the room, everyone agreeing once again. I notice a few glares sent my way, surely because they think I have no right to meddle in their business. "The best way to deal with this would be if you send someone to talk to him. Think about it, why would Rogue attack so suddenly? There has to be an explanation."

"Since when do we listen to Vortex scum and let them on our meetings?" One of the soldiers asks. I'm not surprised it's the same one that punched me when we were exposed a week ago.

"Since they actually offer solutions rather than being a waste of space," I tell him, my eyebrows drawing together. "And I don't belong to Vortex."

He steps forward, but Louis places a hand on his chest. "Don't start shit, Tyler."

"So talking? That's your solution? Really?" H asks in a mocking tone. "Fantastic."

"Ace never denies meetings or peace offerings, so yes, that's the best and the only solution," I reply calmly. "I've been in a similar situation and I had a chance to meet him and talk to him. I'm sure this would work."

"Your word means nothing here, you're a traitor for all we know," Tyler snaps. I notice a few soldiers nod in agreement, murmuring he's right.

"Be quiet unless you have something worthy to say, which I highly doubt," H warns him, placing his palms on the table and leaning his weight on them as he looks at me. "Talking, you say? He killed dozens of our men, no talk could fix that."

"You're right, but it wouldn't hurt to ask him why he did it. Dozens of men will be nothing compared to hundreds that will die if you start a war with them," I reason, earning a smile from Jess and a thumbs up from Tori.

"And who you suggest should go speak to him?" Niall asks. "David? H? They'd walk right into a trap, babe."

"I could." That would be perfect. If I manage to bring back the truce between them again, I'd be on Ace's and H's good side, which opens so many opportunities for my brother and me.

Shocked expressions surround me, looks of suspicion and disapproval being sent my way. It's obvious no one trusts me, the permanent mark on my skin I never asked for being the only thing they use to judge me. None of them would give me a chance, but maybe H can be convinced.