Chapter 15

Harry

The moment I step into the mess hall, Louis and Liam wave me over, smiles on their faces. It's strange how they're so cheerful after what happened with Vortex yesterday, I don't think I'd be able to function, but that just might be because war affects me more than them. Surprisingly, there weren't as many losses as I had originally thought; apparently my quick reaction and aborting the mission had helped save many lives that could've been taken. Sometimes my panic and overreacting are not such a bad thing.

After grabbing my usual breakfast, I walk toward the table, plopping on the seat next to Liam, patting him on the back. Much to my displeasure, my eyes search for the person that seems to be absent. Her brother is here, chatting with Louis, but the seat next to him is empty and I can't help but wonder why. A frown overtakes my face as I scold myself internally. Why do I even care?

"Styles!" Louis calls loudly, snapping me from my thoughts. "Where are you, mate? I asked you a question."

"It's still early," I grumble. "What is it?"

"We've been wondering if you'd like to come to this little gathering we're planning tonight," Liam says. "It's in our flat, it'll be fun. We all need to relax a bit."

I don't know why do they even bother asking anymore, I always decline. I've been declining their offers for two years now, ever since things have changed, since I've changed. "No," I reply flatly. "I'll be busy."

"Are you sure?" Niall asks, his lips pulling in a hopeful smile.

"I said no." Fuck, I'm so bitter and they're fairly good at making me remember that fact without even knowing. If I went to the gathering, it just wouldn't be the same, there would be one person missing and I'd be constantly reminded of it. I just can't deal with that, no matter how strong I'm trying to appear, in reality I'm not.

Niall's smile falters and he simply nods, shifting his gaze to his meal. The atmosphere changes drastically and I know it's because of me. Annoyance suddenly takes over me, my appetite disappearing. I slam my palm against the table, the chair screeching on the ground as I stand up, gaining everyone's attention. A deep frown settles on my face as I quickly walk toward the exit, leaving the mess hall.

I don't know where I'm headed until I find myself standing in front of the building where children are settled, my feet carrying me inside. The minute I step inside, my anger and tension slowly diminish, just like it happens every time I surround myself with them; their innocence and hearts untainted by war bringing a smile to my face.

I peek inside the training room, hearing laughter and chatter, seeing young trainees working with trainers. Again, my eyes search for the person that is once again absent, despite the fact her duty for this week is training these kids. I force myself to push away the thoughts about her, deciding to step back and make my way toward the rooms where smaller children are settled. We made sure they're constantly protected from any possible harm, so their rooms are located underground and guarded 24/7.

There aren't many children in here, mostly because no one wants to bring a child and raise them while the world is in war. The children here are either sons and daughters of older soldiers in Hazard or orphans rescued from the harsh environment. The youngest is six years old, I haven't seen a newborn in almost a decade.

I descend down the stairs, walking into the chilly hallway, its walls decorated with children's drawings. If anyone wants to find peace in the middle of the war, this is where they should look for it; among children. When I reach the children's playroom, I raise my hand to knock on the door, my fingers curling around the handle and twisting it, opening the door. I step inside, my eyebrows shooting up in surprise at the sight of Elena sitting on the ground surrounded by a handful of kids, Tommy and Alice included.