CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: TORN

*NIALL'S POV*

I kind of miss my bonding time with Cher... even if it's only for a very brief time.

She even rejected my 'panda-bear' jammies.

So I decided to just sneak into her room tonight instead.

All I ever wanted was to cuddle and nothing more.

I twisted her door knob and found out that it was... locked.

Well, duh! How stupid of me to try to sneak in when I couldn't even open her door in the first place?!

"Niall, that's you isn't it?" I heard her say from behind the door.

"Yeah." I admitted right away.

She surprisingly opens the door and crosses both of her arms.

"Well?" She waited for what I had to say.

"I, uh, I just wanted to talk, is all." I flashed her a sincere smile.

"Okay then, come in..." It took her a few seconds before she stepped aside to let me pass.

I hurriedly went inside, being cautious of Louis suddenly popping out of nowhere... such a copycat.

When I sat down on her bed, I couldn't help but bounce up and down a little which was a bad move to make.

"Behave yourself, Horan. I thought you wanted to talk? What about?" She scolded.

"About you. How was your day? You look pretty tired..." I examined her face up close but then she backed away.

"I am." She yawns.

"Well, sorry for bothering you then." I stood up from the bed but then she grabs a hold of my arm.

"But I could use a friend to talk to right now." She smiled faintly.

"I'm all ears!" I feel ecstatic.

"You see, I'm torn..." She said slowly.

"About?" I pried.

"About a lot of things, apparently." She looked really sleepy.

"How about you lie down while I listen to you talk?" Or mumble incoherent words.

She's the cutest when she's sleepy... with the droopy eyes and all.

*AFTER AN HOUR*

Cher is now fast asleep in my arms like a baby.

She was able to talk to me about her feelings and mixed emotions but she didn't exactly specify as to who she was talking about.

I'm pretty sure that it ain't me but I still care enough to hear her out.

I guess I'm only up to being a 'friend'.

I seem to be pretty damn good with the role.

I let a few minutes go by as I stroked her hair and stared at her beautiful face features before I slowly replaced her head on the pillow and then crept out of the door right after turning the lamp off.

"Well, well, well, look who just came out of the closet!" When I spun around, I saw Louis' face.

What's that even supposed to mean?

"What did you do in there, Niall?" Louis asked further.

"I even brought Liam with me so that you'll be scared shitless..."

True enough, behind him stood a pissed off Liam who was probably forced to come along.

"Nothing, I swear! I happen to respect women unlike Zayn and Harry." I panicked when I saw Liam's strict face.

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean?" I gulped when I saw Harry and Zayn's angry faces.

"Uh... I didn't mean you guys. I was actually referring to... all the Harry and Zayn out there. You know, in general." I nervously laughed.

"What were you doing with Cher this late then?" Harry changed the subject.

All of them had dagger eyes piercing right into my being so it was definitely hard to talk.

"Like I said, nothing happened. We just talked as friends." I sighed heavily.

"Talk about what?" Zayn cornered me to the wall.

"About how she's torn up and confused all right! Jeez, I've said too much already!" Cher's going to kill me right on spot if she knew that my tongue slipped and failed me because of peer pressure.

"Oh. Okay you're free to go, mate!" Harry patted me on the shoulder.

"I bet she means that she's torn up about her feelings for me..." Louis declared.

"No way! She's referring to me alright." Harry argued.

"You guys are a bunch of immature kids, how can she possibly have feelings to anyone of you?" Liam snorted and then he walks back to his room like they didn't gang up on me in the first place.

"Liam couldn't possibly think that Cher actually likes him, right?" Zayn looked alarmed.

"Nah! That would be like the end of the world if ever that's the case." Louis laughed out loud and so did the two womanizers.

Sometimes, I wonder why I'm in a group filled with egocentric bullies... which is why I decided all by myself to be Cher's sworn protector from these guys starting at this very moment!

Or a knight and shining armor would be nice...

I wonder if I could possibly recruit Liam on the task.