Pillowtalk

"I'm g-getting..." Scott took a deep, shaky breath, his throat closing up. His face hurt from frowning for so long and his eyes were so sore from crying that he couldn't keep them open anymore, didn't want to anyway. They hurt. He sniffled deeply and tried again. "I-I'm getting...I got your shirt all wet."

Mitch wrapped his arm a little tighter around the boy, rubbing Scott's back with the other as he tried to ignite how uncomfortable this position was. His whole upper body was tired from laying across the couch like this, neck propped against the arm of the sofa and a large, heartbroken Scott draped over him, but he didn't care. Plus, Scott was right- the shoulder of Mitch's shirt was absolutely soaked and it was kind of annoying, but that didn't matter either.

"I'm sorry," Scott moaned in the tiniest voice, so quiet that Mitch thought he'd imagined it. It was devastating hearing a voice like that come from the loud, rambunctious boy he loved so much.

"It's so okay, Scotty," Mitch cooed, continuing to rub his back. He considered asking Scott to move just a little so that he could get comfortable but decided against it. "This shirt isn't important to me. You can cry more if you need to, babe, I'm here for you."

Scott shook his head lightly, rubbing the tear-dampened cloth against Mitch's skin. He sniffled, mumbling in his coarse voice again. "No. Crying won't do anything. I think I'm finally done."

"You're done?" Mitch whispered back. He reached up to Scott's head, stroking his fingers through soft blond hair. "Got it off your chest?"

Scott shook his head hard and Mitch pouted, aching for his friend. "I can't get it off of my chest, Mitch. It hurts. Even physically, in my chest. It hurts me so much. I can feel it." Mitch felt a warm tear soak through the cool wet patch on his shoulder and tightened his grip around the blond, holding Scott against him when he felt his body beginning to quiver again. He tried to rock him a little, maybe trick him into thinking his body was shaking because Mitch was making it and not his pain.

"Shhhh. Shhh, it's okay. You can cry if you need to, babe. I'll stay here with you all night if I have to." Mitch pressed a quick peck to the top of Scott's head, closing his eyes to stop himself from tearing up too. His back was straining from this position and he'd already been here for more than an hour but he didn't care. Scott was so devastatingly heartbroken that Mitch had to practically force himself not to cry from seeing him like this. "I've got you. You can talk about it if you want, or you can just cry. I've got you, babe."

Scott stayed silent for a while and let Mitch rub his back, sniffling quietly and letting some stray tears soak into his shirt. He wanted to go to his room and hide in it for days but he couldn't bear to be alone. Mitch was here holding him and that was as good as it was going to get in regards to physical comfort now that he was freshly single.

"He had no intention of keeping me," Scott mumbled into Mitch's shoulder in that same small voice, his voice muffled by Mitch's shirt. "He said he never even wanted me that much."

"He did want you," Mitch mumbled back, giving their embrace a little squeeze. God, Scott was breaking his heart. "He lied. Of course he wanted you, he was the one who asked you out the first time. That wasn't the problem."

"I'm the problem," Scott whimpered instantly, his face scrunching up again. He pressed his chest hard against Mitch's, wishing it didn't hurt so much. Mitch wondered if Scott was subconsciously trying to transfer the pain to him. "I hate it. I regret it so much. I wanna take it back. I w-wanna... I wanna u-un-break up w-with h-"

"Shhh. Relax." Scott was shaking again and sobbing tearlessly, his eyes probably dried out at this point. "You were not the problem, Scott. He wasn't treating you right. We both know that, baby, don't try to tell yourself otherwise."