Gummy Bear Kisses *R*

Scott hadn't even realized that he was staring until he heard a little squeal of delight. The noise snapped him out of his dreamy trance and he felt guilty when he realized he'd stopped coloring with Mitch. Mitch wasn't paying any attention to him though, his eyes still glued intensely to the space-themed coloring book on the floor in front of him. The concentration painted on his face paired with his tongue poking out from between his teeth, his calves swinging behind him while he lay comfortably on his tummy right across from him, all of it was so endearing that Scott couldn't help but stop and stare. Scott considered leaning forward a few inches to steal a kiss before resuming work on his own coloring book but instead crawled to Mitch's side and sat on the floor next to him, rubbing softly between his shoulder blades as the brunette continued coloring furiously.

"Wow. That's so pretty, baby," Scott cooed, admiring his work. Despite that he was filling in a simple image of a rocket ship floating amongst a peppering of stars, it really did look nice. He'd been holding the glitter pen when he'd shrieked happily, and now Scott saw why. The stars were neatly filled in with a metallic silver and they looked so good that he knew Mitch must be proud of them. "I mean it. Look at those pretty stars, too. My Mitchy's an artist, isn't he?"

"Uh huh," Mitch mumbled distractedly, resting his head on Scott's thigh to give his poor elbow a break from propping him up for so long. He couldn't risk changing positions and loosing concentration, but this new arrangement gave certain muscles in his arms and shoulders a very welcome relief and allowed him to keep working diligently on his masterpiece. "Gimme the yellow, daddy. I have to make the sun."

"You're gonna make the sun?" Scott repeated questioningly, reaching for the yellow pencil laying discarded on the floor a few feel away. "Isn't it nighttime in your picture? There are stars all around your rocket ship."

Mitchs's fingers slowed down for a moment, meticulously drawing a big, yellow circle as he thought about it. He furrowed his eyebrows and shook his head no before beginning to fill his circle in. "What? That's not how space works, daddy."

It was barely a whisper but Scott wanted to laugh, both because Mitch was right and because he was so focused that it had taken him nearly a full minute to respond. Mitch lifted his cheek from Scott's thigh for just long enough for him to judge the quality of his sun while upright before he rested his head back down on Scott's leg. He reached for the black pencil to finish filling in the background and he seemed so serene that it almost hurt Scott to interrupt him.

"This is lovely, Mitchy. You worked so hard hard and it came out so beautiful." Scott rubbed Mitch's head, his short, baby soft hair prickling gently against Scott's fingertips. "You're getting really, really quiet, though, honey. I think it time to clean up and get some dinner in your little tummy before you get too sleepy."

"What?" Mitch lifted his head off of Scott's thigh and slowly rolled over onto his back, looking up at him with tired eyes and a genuine pout. He folded his arms over his chest loosely as if he wanted to cross them but was too distraught to finish the movement. "But I didn't even get to finish my picture! No fair, daddy."

"You can finish it next time, okay? Aren't you hungry, sweetie?"

Was he? Mitch bit his tongue in his mouth as he tried to prioritize his needs. His stomach did feel hollow now that Scott had reminded him of dinner, but he couldn't just leave the background unfinished. He was so focused right now and he knew from experience that it wouldn't be as much fun to finish it next time. Who even know when next time would be? Mitch shook his head.

"No, I can be hungry later. I needa color now."

Scott would have let him, but the drowsiness in Mitch's eyes was hard to ignore and he knew Mitch would only grow more and more stubborn the sleepier he got. They'd been playing together for a long time so he knew he wasn't being unfair by declaring it time to clean up. Scott felt a tug and looked down at Mitch laying on the floor with his hand fisted in Scott's shirt to get his attention and for a moment he forgot he was dealing with a twenty three year old man and not an actual child.