Temporary High (Part 4)

"Scotty!"

Mitch gave in and barged into his room at 9:15, bouncing onto Scott's bed and crawling up to him on his hands and knees. He'd been up for a while now and decided that he'd waited enough for Scott to wake up and that it was time to take the matter into his own hands. "Scotty! Scott, wake up! It's Sunday!"

"Hmm?"

"I said it's Sunday! Wake up!"

"Mhmm."

"What do you mean 'mhmm'? Wake up! We get to be together! Scott, we finally get to be together!"

Scott blinked his eyes open and listened to Mitch giggle a little as he practically vibrated with energy sitting next to him. "Come on, get up! We're boyfriends now!"

Oh.

Oh.

"...Oh."

"Scott, it's been a week! You told me to wait a week , and it's been a week! Come on, wake up! Don't you wanna be my boyfriend anymore?"

"Oh, no...of course I do. One sec, let me breathe." He stifled a yawn by shoving his face into his pillow before flipping into his back to look at Mitch. "Wow. You're in a good mood today, aren't you, M-"

He was cut off by a pair of lips smashing into his and his eyes shot open, his mind officially waking all the way up. He pulled away from Mitch and covered his mouth with his hand, looking up at the hyper boy's confused expression.

"Wh-Scott? Don't you wanna kiss your...wait, you told me to wait a week, right? One week? Do you not want-"

"No! No, I'm...I do, I wanna be your...your boyfriend, and I wanna, um..." he smiled a little behind his hand. Was this really happening? So fast? "I wanna kiss you. Of course I wanna kiss you, but I need to brush my teeth and stuff first, okay?"

"Oh, okay. Come on, then, let's go brush your teeth!" He tugged at Scott's hand and the boy forced his muscles to let Mitch pull him out of bed. He was tired and his body was heavy with sleep, but his mind was buzzing. He couldn't believe how happy Mitch was, it almost didn't seem real.

Mitch had absolutely hated it when Scott told him that night last week that it was a bad idea for them to date and, of course, had began bawling all over again. He knew that Mitch felt guilty about what he'd done and was probably using it as a way to make it up to him, but being a couple simply wouldn't work if Scott stayed in love with him while Mitch dragged him around on pity dates until he decided they needed to break up. But of course, Scott eventually cracked under pressure of Mitch's incessant, soul-wrenching sobs.  He was sick of them and the way they made his heart ache, so he came up with an idea that would give both of them time to figure themselves out.

He'd told Mitch that he could have him, but only under a few conditions. First, he wanted Mitch to stop drinking so much. He swore he wouldn't even consider them getting together until he was at least one week sober. Another condition was that he needed to get back in control of his life and not waste it clubbing his sorrows away. He didn't need that when he already had such a strong support system in his family and even had a best friend living in his apartment who was so readily at his service. Lastly, he had to forgive himself, forgive Alex and anyone else who'd hurt him, and try to move on before he tried to start anything with him. He tried to get Mitch to understand that Scott's own heart was at risk if Mitch jumped into this so quickly and Mitch tearfully agreed, finally seeing some sense in Scott's rejection.

What he hadn't expected was for Mitch to cut alcohol out of his life cold turkey and stop clubbing his nights away literally the day after their discussion. Throughout the week, he watched Mitch try his best to heal and forgive and get back in control of his life as best as he could. Although he mostly tried to figure everything out in the isolation of his bedroom, it seemed that he got more and more eager to please Scott and meet his expectations as the week passed. It was exhausting to try to break out of the reckless habits he'd adopted all at once, but he knew it would be worth it. He would come out for meals and give Scott a smile, maybe offer to help him with dishes or run some errands for him. He'd even knock on his door before bed and shyly update him on how he was doing, often waiting until late at night so that Scott would know he hadn't snuck out to drink or party. This was such a huge improvement from how he had been when he'd let his failed relationship with Alex drag him down, and Scott couldn't believe that Mitch was doing this all because he'd told him to.