Office Hours (Part 2) *PG-13*

Scott slammed his apartment door shut behind him, checking the clock and groaning when he saw the time. He quickly set down his keys and the big bouquet of pink tulips before stumbling into his living room to clean it up before Mitch arrived in fifteen minutes. He had been packing all night and running errands all day and he hadn't gotten a chance to tidy the disarray that his date would be walking into if he didn't act fast.

He let out a sigh of relief when he finished tidying up with two minutes to spare, admiring his work before plopping onto his couch to breathe. Things looked good enough and he needed to relax- he wasn't planning on welcoming Mitch in while still panting from the exertion of last minute house cleaning. He was glad they had found a night to spend together before they both left town to spend the week of Christmas with their families.

Scott checked his watch and realized that five minutes had passed and Mitch still wasn't here. Mitch was never late, and Scott was tempted to call him and make sure he was alright. Since their first attempt at a casual date, during which Mitch accidentally fell asleep mid-movie from exhaustion and Scott had no option but to leave, they had gone on a few very successful lunch dates and he didn't think Mitch would bail on him at this point. He had been immensely relived that Mitch seemed to be interested in him too, and he was falling for the quirky brunette fast now that he was finally getting to know him properly.

It was fifteen more minutes before he finally heard a quick knock on the door and stumbled over to answer it. Mitch stood on the other side, smiling shyly at him with a bouquet of daisies in his hands. "Sorry" he mumbled, biting his lip as Scott let him in, "my car wouldn't start and I had to take an Uber here. I hope I didn't mess up the plans."

"No! No, you didn't, don't worry. Sorry about your car. We can just go in mine instead, our reservation isn't for another ten minutes. Oh! Here..." he remembered the flowers he had set on the counter earlier and retrieved them, holding them up to Mitch.

The brunette couldn't suppress his smile despite his anxiety from being so late. He held up the bouquet in his own hands that he had brought for Scott, giggling as realization seeped into other boys face.

"Scott...what am I supposed to do with those? I'm supposed to bring you flowers when I pick you up." Scott almost groaned, wishing he had thought of that before spending way too much time at the flower shop trying to pick something nice for Mitch. He just couldn't stop embarrassing himself in front of this man, and this was only their fourth real date. Mitch smiled sympathetically and took Scott's bouquet anyway. "Though I really wouldn't mind taking those to the restaurant with me. Those are stunning. Look at that arrangement."

Scott rolled his eyes, setting both bouquets on the counter and grabbing his keys. "Thanks, I guess. God, I'm embarrassing. Now let's go, we can deal with the flowers after dinner." He had almost made it out the door when he turned to see Mitch still lingering in his spot. He was swaying nervously against the counter and he looked like he wanted to say something, but he stayed silent even after he caught Scott's eyes. Scott gently shut the door behind him, leaning his back against it. "Are you alright, Mitch? What's up?"

Mitch bit his lip, unsure of if Scott would be annoyed with him if he said it. Or worse, angry. After the long day he had somehow survived, he didn't know if he was ready to risk Scott yelling at him or asking him to go home. He sighed nervously before finally getting it out.

"Nothing's wrong, I just...don't really wanna go out, you know?" Scott's face dropped a little, and Mitch regretted being so forward with him. "I'm sorry, Scott. I was rude enough being late and I know you made reservations somewhere nice tonight. I've just had a really long day and then the car stuff happened and...I'm not really in the mood" he answered honestly.