Temporary High (Part 3)

Mitch woke up slowly, and the first thing he noticed was the throbbing in his head. The second thing he noticed was that he was alone, but not to a painful extent. Which was weird. He took a moment to wake up before trying to figure things out.

He blinked his eyes a few more times before he realized that he was in Scott's bed, and suddenly everything came back to him. He was alone, just as he has guessed, but he was almost embarrassed as he looked around and noticed the various accommodations that had given him the feeling that he was okay. There was a little nightlight plugged into the wall to his left and he could see around the room in the dull glow, which was good because he would have panicked otherwise. He was aware of his surroundings and he wasn't afraid. His arms were wrapped around a stuffed animal, trapping it tightly against his chest, and he was tucked into the covers very snugly. Very snugly. As in he would have to wiggle quite a bit to get out of them. He sighed in content. This blanket burrito felt so good, he felt as if he was being held together. That must have been how it was possible for him to wake up without the aching emptiness in his chest.

Of course he would. Scott was a fucking angel, of course he'd tried to make Mitch as comfortable as possible before leaving the room. Mitch honestly couldn't remember falling asleep and didn't have a clue where Scott was or why he'd left his own bedroom but he hoped to God that it wasn't because he'd tried to hook up with him again. He snuggled the stuffed animal tighter against his chest, pleased by the comfort and the idea that Scott still cared for him enough to leave something for him to hug. He had no idea where they stood but he knew he had to thank the boy for taking such good care of him when he absolutely didn't deserve it.

He became sick of laying around and decided he needed to get up. He rolled out of the sheets and tried to make Scott's bed in the dim glow of the nightlight before using his bathroom. He splashed water on his face, patting it dry with the towel that just smelled so much like him that his heart began to ache a little for him. He looked in the mirror and cringed at how sloppy he looked. He ran his fingers through his hair and smoothed it down until it was decent, but there was nothing he could do about his swollen eyes and dark circles. He took a deep breath before flipping the light switch off and heading out of Scott's room.

He'd meant to walk over to his own bedroom and go back to sleep, but as he made his way through the living room he was a little surprised to find that there was a dull light coming from the kitchen. It took him a bit too long to process why it was on, because before he could even begin to walk over to turn it off Scott turned around and caught Mitch standing in the living room and staring in his general direction, the teddy bear hanging limp from his hand.

"Hey, Mitchie. Oh! Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." Mitch had jumped when Scott spoke up- his blurry eyes hadn't registered that the blond had been standing there facing the stove. Mitch blushed. He was unable to read Scott's confused expression and he stared nervously at him until Scott spoke up again.

"Mitch? Where were you going?"

He looked down at the floor, suddenly too shy to look at him. "My room." He pulled the teddy bear to his chest and picked at its fur just to give himself something to do.

"Come here, Mitchie. You haven't eaten all day."

Mitch looked up and saw the sincerity in Scott's face and silently gave in. It felt wrong to argue or to leave him here alone and hide in his room, so he slowly made his way across the living room. He considered waiting for him in the dining room but instead lowered himself onto the kitchen mat in front of the fridge, leaning his back against the cool metal and looking up at him.

Scott only had the stove light on and the upper half of his body was glowing from the illumination as he stirred whatever was in the pot he was holding. He looked quite rugged, maybe even more so than Mitch, which confused him. Then again, Mitch didn't know that Scott had cried himself to sleep twice today. Scott's tshirt was crumpled and his hair was a mess and Mitch envied the fact that he could pull it off better than him. He really did look quite handsome, even while this disheveled.