The Deal (Part 2)

"Mitch!"

She pushed his shoulder and he pulled away from Scott, alarmed. He'd been so absorbed in him that he'd forgotten Kirstie was even here, and the shove to his shoulder was a bit of a rude awakening.

"What?"

"You can't...what are you doing? Just because he's sad you think you can start kissing your friend on the mouth? Are you even thinking about him and how weird he'll feel about that once he's better?"

Mitch gave her a look, a bit thrown off by her outburst. He stared at Kirstie a little while before looking back at Scott, still too consumed with him to really pay attention to her. He felt Scott shudder a bit next to him as he registered Kirstie's words and Mitch's eyes got wide. "No, no. It's okay. Relax."

Kirstie wasn't sure if that was meant for her or Scott, but she stayed silent. She watched Mitch cup Scott's cheek again and Scott leaned into his hand, gladly accepting the comfort. He traced Scott's lips with his thumb again and Scott nodded eagerly, further confusing her.

"It's ok, Kirstie, he's giving me permission. See? And likes my kisses, don't you, Scotty?" Scott tilted his head away from her and nodded again, still refusing to open his eyes. Mitch shamelessly leaned over him, his lips ghosting over Scott's again. "Mhm. And I like them too. It's not...you're distracting me, Kirst, stop looking at me like that. It's not weird. You don't have to stay if it's making you uncomfortable, but I know what I'm doing."

He pecked the corner of Scott's mouth and dropped a few more quick kisses right on his lips before slowing down and giving him an actual kiss. Like, a kiss kiss. Kirstie lay stunned and watched them make out, completely taken aback by how monumental this move should have been and how weirdly calm the atmosphere had gotten the second their lips reconnected.

She didn't even feel like she was there anymore. The only thing that mattered at the moment was the way that Mitch was kissing Scott so sweetly and with so much love and care, as if he were kissing life into him. It didn't take too long for Scott to start kissing back, and he took his hand away from Kirstie to place it over the one Mitch was using to hold his face. Mitch propped himself up a little more and cradled Scott's cheek in his hand as he depended the kiss, his hair grazing Scott's forehead. He let himself enjoy it for a while and then pulled away.

"Alright, buddy. You got your kisses. No more until you take your meds and drink some water."

Kirstie was baffled when Scott actually obeyed. The same Scott who was so stubborn that he wouldn't even let go of Mitch minutes ago. She watched him in the very, very dim light as he took his two tablets of ibuprofen and swallowed them down thickly while Mitch changed into a dry tshirt, throwing his damp tear-stained one to the foot of the bed. They cuddled back up instinctively and Kirstie couldn't believe how in sync they were. Why was she even here anymore?

"Better?"

"A little." It was almost funny how small Scott's voice was. It sounded like a peep compared to his usual loud, happy, booming voice.

"Me too. I like being dry, your tears make me feel all heavy."

"Sorry."

"Don't be. Hey, you know what I would love right now? I really wanna see those pretty blue eyes."

"No." He squeezed them closed tighter as if it wasn't too dark for Mitch to see them anyway.