chapter 74: where do we start?

Start from the beginning

---------------------

liam dunbar

The line has gone silent. We can no longer hear Veronica on the other end. I drive as fast as I can, the fastest I have ever driven but it feels like we're barely moving. 

I stop once we see the skid marks from where Stiles drove off the road. We get out of the car and follow the tracks that'll lead us to her. I run in the direction they take me, Scott right behind me. 

We find her on the floor, the phone next to her. I rush over to her and she slowly opens her eyes. "Liam." she says softly when she sees me. 

"Hey, I'm right here." I say, carefully picking her up in my arms. It doesn't matter how gently or how slowly I pick her up, she still cries out in pain and I hate myself for making it worse. I carry her towards my car and I get in the backseat with her. Scott drives to the hospital while I hold Veronica in my arms, taking as much of her pain as I can. 

I listen to her heartbeat, and even in this chaos it helps keep me calm. 

-------------------

beacon hills memorial hospital

I stand by the door to Veronica's room. I won't leave her side. I don't care what they tell me. My dad tried to get me to leave, but I won't. 

Veronica is awake and talking. My dad is asking her a series of questions that she seems to be answering the way she should. 

"Your shoulder is dislocated. I have to put the bones back in place." my dad says. "It's going to hurt."

I walk towards Veronica. "I'll hold your hand."

"No, it's okay." she says, knowing that I want to hold her hand so I can take her pain. "I can take it." she says, nodding towards me. I reluctantly go back to stand by the door. Veronica lives with pain constantly because of the night she went into the ice bath, and she does her best to take pain from the people she loves so they won't suffer. So when she's in pain, and any one capable of taking it wants to help alleviate it, she refuses because she doesn't want any one to be in pain because of her.

"All right." my dad says with a nod. "Ready?"

"Ready." Veronica says. 

My dad moves Veronica's shoulder bones back in place and she doesn't even flinch, doesn't even make a sound.

"You okay?" my dad asks her and she simply nods. "Okay, I'll be back to check on you in a few minutes." he says and walks out after Veronica thanks him.

I walk over to her and take her hand in mine. She looks down at our hands before meeting my eyes. 

"We have to find him." she says, her voice breaking as tears start rolling down her cheeks. 

"We will." I tell her pulling her into a hug, careful not to hurt her. I hate seeing her like this. It breaks my heart. I'd do anything for her, anything at all so that she wouldn't have to be going through this.

------------------

veronica stilinski

Liam sits on the bed next to me with his arms wrapped around me, and I rest my head on his shoulder. I keep shivering, but it's not because I'm cold. 

"Veronica?" my dad asks frantically as he walks into my room.

"Dad." I say, with a sigh of relief.

I get off the bed and walk towards him. He walks towards me too, arms ready to bring me into his embrace and he does. 

"Are you okay?" he asks, his voice full of concern and I know how worried and scared he feels right now too.