#A4Day5: Anniversary

Richard held the bouquet of pink and yellow carnations in one arm as he happily pranced along the pavement on his way to the rooftop of his condominium building with a wide dimpled smile on his face. He squinted as he looked up at the rising sun starting to light the dark night sky before walking inside.

He hummed a jolly tune as he checked himself in the mirror while he rode the elevator to their meeting place.

//

Maine carefully placed a long necked vase with a single red rose and a small holder with a vanilla scented candle on the table covered with white and red cloths.

She inspected the setup. “Okay. Plates, spoons, forks, knives, bowls, wine goblets, water glasses and a bottle of his favorite red. All set for my Richard. Oh wait.” She got a compact mirror from her purse and looked into it. She smiled as she found her messy bun and light makeup still in place despite the light breeze that blew continuously in the open space she chose to set up their date.

She straightened the white off shoulder dress she was wearing before taking a seat to wait for him.

“Hello,Love. Happy Anniversary. For you.” He beamed as he took a seat and showed her the flowers.

“Thank you, Love. Happy Anniversary. Wine?” She smiled back as she poured the red liquor in the goblets and he marveled at how her eyes sparkled when she did. Their brown shades danced with the orange and pink hues of the sky behind her.

“You're really so beautiful, my love.I will never grow tired of watching you. If I ever have to spend a lifetime of seeing nothing else but you, I would live contentedly.” He sighed.

“Some cheese to go with the wine, I see.” She chuckled. “Well you are the most handsome guy in world, did you know that?” She smiled, leaned her cheek on her palm and stared at him.

“Stop looking at me like that or I’ll kiss you.” He said in a low warning voice and wiggled his eyebrows.

“So kiss me.” She answered with a smirk.

“You, naughty girl. You don't know what you're getting yourself into. Argh! You're too adorable. I can bite you.” He grinned.

“Bite me? I dare you to.” She giggled.

Richard suddenly closed his eyes and listened to the musical sound of her laughter. He blinked back his tears as he reached out and touched her cheek.

“I miss you so much.” He whispered as his voice cracked because he couldn't fight his longing and loneliness anymore no matter how hard he tried to hide them in his smiles.

Maine wiped her own tears when she looked at him. “I miss you too, Love. I love you.”

“I love you too. I love you so much. Come home soon, okay?” He sobbed.

“I will.” She promised as the sun set in the Italian sky over Lake Como where she had to live for a few months while she finished the novel she has long dreamt of writing.

Maine reached out and traced a finger along his jaw on the screen of the iPad set in front of the empty chair meant for Richard.

He closed his eyes, leaned on the empty table and kissed her on his laptop monitor, dreaming of the day when he can taste her lips again and hold her in his arms.