set you free

1 year later

It's been a year since my dad died. The twins and I went on tour and I got to travel to places I always wanted to go.

With my best friends.

Tour was amazing. We went to all kinds of cities with many experiences. Now, Grayson's been kind of distant. We hang out less, he hardly calls. My mom says he's just busy but I'm worried. Last time we talked was two weeks ago.

Two weeks.

----

A knock on my door. My brows furrow and I lift from the couch, swinging it open.

Grayson stands with a blank expression.

"Grayson?" I step back, shocked. He squints his eyes as if he's in pain.

"Can I come in?" His voice is low and serious.

"Uh, sure." I shrug and step aside, allowing him to enter.

"We need to talk." As the words leave his mouth my heart sinks.

"O-okay." I gesture to the couch and we sit. Silence washes over us for a long moment before he speaks.

"Sienna, I love you."

"I love you too, Grayson." I smile and he nods.

"But... sometimes... This is so hard to say." His eyebrows knit together, creating wrinkles between the hairs.

"Please don't." I shake my head and squeeze my eyes shut.

"When you love someone, sometimes.... You have to let them go." His voice falters slightly and I let a tear slide.

"Don't leave me... Gray."

"I'm so sorry Sienna. You deserve someone better." He lightly touches my arm but I pull away.

"Why are you doing this?"

"I just need to set you free." He sniffles.

The heels of my hands push into my eyes and suddenly his arms are wrapped around me. I let a sob escape my lips and soon enough they won't stop.

"Can y-you leave?" I look up at him and he stays silent. Tears fall from his eyes and my heart clenches.

"Sienna-"

"LEAVE GRAYSON." My voice grows in volume and I cover my face with my hands.

"Just please. Leave me alone." His hands leave me.

With that he gets up and leaves.

That was the last time I ever saw Grayson Dolan.

Later in life, I moved to San Luis Obispo, never looking back.

I never saw Ethan again.

I never saw my first love again.

Did it hurt? Yes. It hurt like a bitch. Eventually though, the pain faded. It no longer felt unbearable. I never forgot about him. I didn't forget for a second.

But eventually I filled the void with art and hobbies.

I'll never forget him. He changed me for the better and for that I'm eternally grateful.