MATHEW BARZAL #13

||Y/N||

"So, what are we gonna do?" I ask as i take a seat beside my boyfriend of one year, Mathew Barzal. The both of us just got out of a very heated argument on how he's never home, and with the world juniors coming up, it's just going to make the situation worse.

"I don't know what to do, i just don't want us to fight anymore." Mathew says removing his head from his hands. Then there was a long pause, neither of us knowing what to say, until the truth hit me.

"We need to take a brake." I mumble.

"What?" Mat asks me taking in what i just said.

"I just think that to end this fighting and stressful nights, that the best way to end it is to, well, end it." I say looking down at the floor.

"Y/N..." Mat says in disbelief.

"We will really need this Mat, and it's just a brake. I'll always be there when we're ready to be together again." I tell him.

"Yeah, i think that's what's right." Mat says looking at at me and i stand up from the bed.

"Good luck with hockey Matt." I say as I walk downstairs, leave his house and drive home.

||3RD PERSON||

Y/N got some and dropped right onto the couch in the living room. She clutches a fluffy pillow to her chest and silently cries not wanting to wake her family. She shakes as clips of her relationship flood he mind and over fill out her eyes. All she can think about is why did she say that.

Mathew is heart broken knowing that the possible love of his life has left him. And since he.s broken he think's it's right for other things to be broken.

"UGHHH!" He yells as he throws his bedside table across the room and shatter against the wall, not even caring if his family wakes up. Then he finds himself in the same position as before. Leaning over his bed, elbows in his knees and head in the palms of his hands and eye bloodshot. All he can think about is why did he let her go.

||FEW YEARS LATER||

Y/N is now living in New York, with her new boyfriend Y/BF/N, and she thinks he is the one.

Mat is now a player for the New York Islanders and now has a loving girlfriend he met in the big apple.

The two of them have fully forgotten about each other and has moved on, until one night.

||Y/N||

Here I am, at the Barclays Center for the New York Islanders verses Florida Panthers. I was supposed to come here with Y/BF/N, but then we broke up a few days ago and now i'm here with my best friend, Y/B/F/N.

"I'm going to get some popcorn, you want anything?" Y/B/F/N asks me as I shake my head no.

"I'm just gonna head to our seats, warm ups are starting." I say smiling at her and I make my way over to our glass seats beside the New York bench. I then take my seat as I see all the players warming up.

As I watch the moving bodies, a certain last name catches my eye.

"Barzal.." I breath out more then say. I watch him as he shoots a puck into the empty net and makes his way around his zone. As he passes over my section, he's looking down and from the corner of his eyes he looks up and sees me. At this point he looks up at me and just watches over me.

"Y/N, I bought you a popcorn too." Y/B/F/N says as she hands me the popcorn and I break the gaze from my ex.

"Thanks." I smile at her and she hands me the popcorn.

||AFTER THE GAME||

"I'm going to the washroom!" Y/B/F/N says as we start to leave the building. We decided to wait out the traffic and stay at the arena for a bit until the majority of people leave.

"Alright, i'll be right here." I say as I take a seat at a near by table. I then pull out my phone and start to scroll through my twitter.

"Y/N?" A voice says from in front of me and I look up to see Mathew Barzal.

"Hey." I say to him closing my phone and placing it face down on the table and my heart beats faster.

"How have you been?" He asks me running a hand trough his hair.

"I've been good, how about you?" I ask him.

"Good, good, look y?n I-" He then gets cut off by Y/B/F/N coming out of the bathroom.

"Babe!" Y/B/F/N says coming out the bathroom and hugs Mat by his waist.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" He ask her and my heart just breaks a bit more then how It was before.

"I came to the game with my bestfriend Y/N, have you met her before?" Y/B/F/N asks Mat and I answer for him.

"Um, yeah actually. We knew each other a long time ago." I say smiling lightly.

"Oh, how nice! Babe can you bring me home? Y/N will be just fine right Y/N?" Y/B/F/N asks you and you nod your head yes.

"Okay, sure. Um, let's go. See you around Y/N." Mat says as they start to walk to his car with Y/B/F/N's arm around his waist and his around her shoulders.

||3RD PERSON||

Y/N watches them with tears in her eyes. She doesn't really know why she's so sad. They haven't been together for so long, but right when she saw him something just clicked inside her.

Mat has dropped Y/B/F/N at home and now he's at his own. He takes a seat on his couch and  stares up at the ceiling and all that's on his mind is Y/N.

The two of them we're each others first love's, so of course they couldn't get over each other fully, just forgot a part of it, the love, but not the memories.

Just as Y/N was gonna dial Mat's number, her phone rang with Mathews face lighting up her screen. As she swipes to answer the two of them say the same thing.

"I love you."Mat says.

"I love you."Y/N says.

The two of them then laugh at each other knowing that maybe they can become what they have lost, love.