Chapter 43

Chapter 43: Are you sure you're not coming?

"This is the time... of our lives! To free ourselves and to brighten our future!"
"Ron! Stop pretending that we're in an action movie and just shut up!"

"What's a movie?"

"Shhhh!"

"Hey guys. I got the keys from Lucius' room. Apparently he's very distracted by the swamp in our kitchen." Draco grinned at the two as he opened the door.

"Swamp?" Hermione narrowed her chocolate brown eyes at Ron.

"Portable swamp. George gave it to me... he was annoyed that I kept asking him for discounts for his products so he just gave it to me and asked me to stop ruining his business."  Ron grinned.

"Here are your wands. Go. Lucius is still trying to remove the swamp with magic." Draco said, handing Ron and Hermione their wands.

"HA! No magic is going to be able to remove the swamp. Great distraction though, works like a-"

"Shut up, Ron! You're going to get Lucius down here!" Hermione said impatiently in a whisper.

"Come on." Draco said, gesturing for Ron and Hermione to follow him.

" Here. Go. Now." Draco said as he opened the back door for Hermione and Ron.

"Are you sure you're not coming?" Hermione asked with a pleading look.
Draco simply nodded.

" You know I need to be here. I need to be his punching bag for him to take out his anger on. You don't know him. He could do anything. Kill anyone. It's honestly just scary to think about."

He watched as the two stepped out of the mansion and sprint away, disappearing into the unknown before walking back into the mansion.

"Father! The two prisoners have escaped!

-

"We're in... Gordric's Hollow?" Hermione mumbled to herself.

"Why were we able to get out of The mansion without any...obstacles or anything?" Ron asked Hermione curiously.

"Don't you remember? It was part of the plan. Draco would plant a distraction to distract Lucius, obviously the swamp, then lift all the enchantments on the mansion before stealing the keys to the room and our wands and then he'll get us out of there." Hermione said.

" Then he tells Lucius that we escaped " Ron said.

" I have to tell him myself. So that his anger would be directed on me and not anyone else. If I don't, there's a chance he might kill the poor guy who's always lurking around in the prisons for some reason. " Draco had said.

" But what if he kills you?" Hermione asked anxiously.

" Then I would have been spared all the torture that he could have inflicted on me." Draco said with a small smile. His smile was meant to be reassuring yet Hermione just felt worse.

"Yeah..." Hermione drawled, her voice uncertain.

"Let's... let's just go find Harry." she changed the subject before she thought about Draco again.

-
"Draco! How could you let the prisoners escape?" Lucius sighed.

"You are such a disappointment to the Malfoy family." Draco bit his tongue hard to avoid himself from arguing back. He could taste a little blood already.

"Think of what your mother would say... about her precious son-"

That was the final straw.

"STOP IT! JUST... STOP TALKING! SHUT UP!" Draco shouted, his grey eyes darkening.

"How dare you-" Lucius' smirk had disappeared from his pale face, replaced with a scowl.

"Yes. I dare. Mother wasn't like you. She wasn't so evil. She would've accepted everything I've done. YOU! YOU ARE THE ONE WHO WANTS ME TO BE SOMEONE I'M NOT! Why do I love Hermione? Because she has made me into the better man that I am today. " Draco's eyes flit to Lucius, who remained silent.

"When I first met her after the war, I didn't think she would even talk to me. I mean, the war heroine falling in love with an ex death eater?  No one's ever heard of that before, huh? But Hermione had accepted my past, something no one would ever do. She didn't look at me like the bad guy I was, instead she made me realise just how dumb and foolish I've been.

Even in school, when I was teasing and bullying her, she didn't run away or cry like anyone else would have done. She fought back. She didn't even hesitate in doing so. You know what? In fact, this is something I admire about her. Yes. I admire it. I was always to coward to do it. Until now." Draco said before turning and walking away from an open mouthed Lucius and leaving the mansion.

Lucius was too shocked to do anything, he didn't even fight Draco at all as Draco opened the front door and left.

-

"Harry!" Hermione smiled as Harry opened the door of his and Ginny's apartment.

"Hermione! You're fine! We've been so worried. Tell us everything that happened." Ginny exclaimed, totally ignoring the fact that her brother was in front of her.
Hermione explained everything that happened in the mansion while sipping a cup of tea Ginny had made for her.

"Wow...that's... " Harry started but Ron had cut him off.

"Wicked. I know."

"Harry, do you have any way to find out if Astoria has been to the ministry or meeting anyone at the ministry about... three months ago? By the way, you should probably explain to the ministry why Ron hasn't been to work lately." Hermione said.

"I've told the head of the auror department that Ron is sick and as for Astoria, I'll just check the ministry records. " Harry said with a nod.

Hermione smiled.

"Okay."
-------------------------
A/N*

Hey guys! So this chapter was probably the longest chapter I've written so far... By the way, a little warning, the end is extremely near... (Don't come after me with pitchforks!)
Just a little warning, to prepare you guys for the end... 
Bye for now, guys!

The end is near...