I drive us all the way toward the base and I'm not surprised to see a few vehicles lined in front of us, blocking our path with soldiers standing in front of them, their rifles hanging from their shoulders. I exchange glances with Elena and she nods, the three of us stepping out of the vehicle, simultaneously slamming the doors shut.  I look at the base, noticing how it doesn't look any different than any other base. Acres of forest surrounding the base grounds? Check. Huge, high walls hiding and protecting it from intruders? Check. Armed soldiers guarding the entrance? Check.

Two female soldiers approach us, looking at us curiously. Before I can say anything, Alex steps forward, clearing his throat, running his fingers through his black hair. "Heeey ladies, what's up?" He winks at them, his lips pulling in a charming smile. Elena and I roll our eyes. "So, you must not get a lot of visitors around here considering you're not a part of the war anymore and no one really knows the base is actually functioning, but my mates here and I were wondering if we could get inside and have a tour around the place, you know, see what has changed, maybe talk to the leader on our way-"

"The leader is expecting you already," one of the girls says, casting a wary look at Elena. "You may enter."

"What do you mean the leader is expecting us?" I ask in confusion, but my question is left unanswered. "Is the leader some kind of psychic or what?"

The girls ignore me and step aside, expecting us to enter through the gates. They signal to the soldiers in front of them and the doors open for us. Elena grabs my hand, pulling me through the doorway, a couple of buildings lined on the cement patio coming into view. It appears I'm the only one confused with this whole thing, Alex looks completely relaxed while Elena looks even more nervous, but obviously not for the same reason I am.

"So, you're saying you have no idea who's leading this place now?" I ask the twins, watching as both of them shake their heads in denial. "Alright, let's hope it's someone very pleasant and friendly, someone who might offer us a cup of tea while we discuss destroying the enemy in the most brutal way. Ah yes, sounds perfect."

"You're actually starting to sound like Niall," Elena points out. "You know, creepy smile, distant look in your eyes, blood urges? That's Niall for ya."

"I'm not- I- let's just get this over with," I mumble and begin glancing around me, taking in my surroundings.

"Ah hello there, we've been expecting you," a tanned older man approaches us, casting a look at Elena that matches the one the girl on the entrance has given her. When I glance at her, I see no recognition in her eyes, a stony expression now resting on her face.

"How did you know we'll come here?" I demand.

"Let's just say we assumed it was bound to happen at one point," the man replies and turns around, beginning to walk toward one of the buildings.

Egoistic and pretentious as fuck if you ask me.

I lean slightly toward Elena. "What if they've been watching us? I feel so exposed suddenly," I whisper, finding everyone and everything suspicious.

I follow the man with reluctance while soldiers dressed in grey uniforms I haven't seen in years walk in various directions, tending to their duties.  How come this place is reeling with life yet none of us knew about it? When Wildfire had retreated from the war, we all automatically assumed the place is shutting down, especially with their leader's death and all.  It appears the new leader has made sure that the base grows and the soldiers get stronger, their number most probably increasing drastically over the years. Elena is right, what if the leader is planning to make a comeback and destroy anyone they feel is the enemy?