chapter 60: even up the score

Start from the beginning

Mason and Corey will break into the Devenford buses and search their shoes. Malia will take out the TV vans, and right before the whistle coach will forfeit the game. Everybody else, including me, will be looking for a size 10 shoe with a bloody sole. A size 10 shoe with Parrish's blood on the sole.

Scott looks around, seeing the worried looks on the faces of his pack. There's a still a chance that this might not work, and we'll have to go up against the Beast.

"The Beast doesn't have a pack. Not like us." Scott says, giving us confidence and instilling courage in us. "We can do this guys. No one dies tonight."

His words spark something in us

His words spark something in us. They spark fearlessness in us, which we have all learned from him.

I smile softly at him, feeling an incredible sense of pride. The memory of Scott helping me learn how to ride my bike when we were little kids quickly comes back to me. The way he spoke now, reminded me of how he spoke to me back then. I was afraid to crash and fall, but he guided me through it. He led me. Just like he is leading us all now. There's not a doubt in my mind that Scott was always meant to do this. To guide us, led us, protect us. Since he was a young boy, it was always his destiny. And even though at times it may be a burden, he carries it with incredible grace and accepts the responsibility of it all like no one else could.

He turns to me. "Ready?"

 "Ready?"

"Ready." I reply.

---------------------------

beacon hills high school; lacrosse field

"What do you mean he's not forfeiting?!" I ask Scott, Stiles, Kira and Liam.

Scott puts a hand on my shoulder. "It's fine. Malia's still taking out the TV vans. And the game gives us an hour and half to try to find someone with blood on their shoes.

The four of them make their way onto the field after I wish them good luck. I kiss Liam's helmet since he already had it on, and he smiles at me before taking off towards the field.

The game begins and Lori, Brett's sister, and I start to look around the back of the bleachers for any bloody shoes.

As the game goes on, Kira seems to be getting more and more intense. Aggressive.