One

Today is the day that I'm finally turning 18. Starting from next month, working would be one of the things I should do no matter what.

Once in 3 years, the higher castes, The Highest, or The Royal Family, The Officials and The Famous, are searching for servants and guards for their family. And, soldiers are being searched by the king to defend our country. This event called The Choosing.

Every people in the fourth caste, The Servant, in the age between 18 until 26 are required to sign themselves to The Choosing. If they don't and get caught, they would be stripped off of their castes and be the lowest of the five caste, The Lowest. For people above the age range, they can still go to work, but not required. But most people still work for their own family.

In the palace, a lot of servant needed there, so a lot of us are chosen to work there. But, the worst thing if we get chosen to work at the palace is, we can't go out of the palace without the king's permission. Even though it's just having a visit to our family. And the king won't give permission easily to loads of worker there; He would just give it to some people. Some lucky people. And we work there as long as the palace needs you. The shortest time I know is 3 years.

You can't choose between working at the palace or other places; They just chooses you.

The Royal family, they are the first one who get the right to choose their servants. And then, The Officials is the next caste to choose. And the last one is The Famous.

For the people who's not chosen to be a servants, guards, or even soldier, they won't work until the next three years, unless they have other work to do outside The Choosing. And they have to submit their information again in the next Choosing.

"Anne, I'm leaving now, I'm already late!" Mom shouts from downstairs, hastiness hinted in her voice.

She must be really afraid to be late. She is already late, I afraid. She usually goes to work at six. But now, the clock already pointed at 6.25, meaning she's already late for her work.

"Okay, mom." I shout back and hurriedly descend the stairs, jog towards the room she's in. My eyes caught her within a second. Her hands hastily shove her stuffs into her worn out bag as she kneels on the floor. Her sandy blonde hair covered half of her face as she keeps hurrying herself, one of her stuff falling to the floor as she huffs to herself.

I walk closer to her, decided to help her with her things. As I approach her, she's already standing on her feet, sighing.

I wish I can help her right now with the work. But, what can I do? I haven't legally allowed to go to work. Not until next month.

"Take care of your brother and sister, okay?" She cupped my left cheek with her soft hand, staring into my eyes as her lips turn into a soft smile. A smile form on my face as I stare back at her and nod.

"I will."

"Oh!" She seems shocked and quickly embrace me in a tight hug. "Happy birthday, Anne." I wrap my arms around her and smile. She takes a step back, squeezing my upper arms as she smiles.

She let go of me, turning around in a quick second and run towards the front door. Few seconds later, she take a halt, turning her body around and look at me.

"Your dad is out to buy some groceries. Don't worry about him. He'll be back at noon."

"Okay."

She give me one last smile and disappear behind the front door.

A Famous house, that's the place she's working at now. And she works as one of the maid there. She already worked there for 3 years. The family is The Headleys, one of the musician family in my hometown. And Samantha Headley is one of the famous singer in this kingdom. Sometimes, her songs can be heard through the radio.