"Kirs?" He said.

"I'm sorry too, Adam," I replied finally. "I'm sorry about what happened. And I'm sorry that things can't be the same anymore. But you've been through a lot, so I don't want you to worry about what happened in the past. I forgive you, if it means so much to you."

He let out a deep breath. "Thank you. It does mean a lot."

I smiled at him. "So, how was your first day?"

"Pretty good." He smiled back. "I caught up with a bunch of friends and I joined the basketball team again. It's going fine."

I was about to reply when I heard a voice call me.

"We should go." David was looking at Adam with a hard expression. "Noah's waiting."

"I'll be right there." I told him.

"Now, please." David sounded impatient.

I won't lie. It annoyed me that he was being harsh to Adam. But I knew that if I would explain the exchange that had taken between us, my friends would probably be a great dealer nicer to him. "Fine," I muttered, then turned to my ex-boyfriend. "Bye, Adam. See you tomorrow?"

"Sure."

David was pulling at my arm, forcing me to walk away.

"You don't have to be so harsh." I grumbled. "He's been through a lot too."

"No one does that to someone they supposedly love." His was cold and serious, which was very rare for David.

"Dave," I said softly. "Calm down, okay? I've never doubted his love for me and I don't really understand why he did it. But he doesn't know either. And he lost everything after that incident. Cut him some slack."

"Whatevever. Noah's waiting for you." And then he walked away.

~*~

The situation at home wasn't any better. Noah was the one to inform my mom.

"I can't believe you, Kirsten." Mom sounded agitated. "How can you take such a huge risk?!"

"There was no risk in this, Mom." I tried to explain as patiently as I could. "Everyone was there."

"There's no trusting people like him," she said.

"I was only talking to him!" I exclaimed. "I wanted to know how he was doing in the past year."

"You don't need to know that!"

"I needed to know," I said. "It's been bothering me for a long time and I wasn't going to let go of the opportunity."

"So you were okay with talking to him?" Mom asked. "After that first call?"

I bit my lip, hesistant. "I wasn't expecting the call . And I wasn't okay for most of the day. But then I got used to it. I knew I had to face him some time or the other."

Mom sighed. "I don't know, Kirs. But the deed's already done. Still, promise me. You won't meet him alone or without informing someone. Please?"

I was aware of the freedom provided in that one promise and I smiled, feeling touched. "Thanks Mom. I promise."

My phone rang and I excused myself.

"Hey, Dave." I greeted my friend.

"Hi. Uh, are you free?" He sounded nervous, confusing me.

"Yeah. What's up?" I said as I headed upstairs to my room.

"Um, I wanted to apologize for earlier. I was being stupid and I should have respected your decision. It's your life, after all."