"Damn," Niall comments with a smirk, enjoying the scene.

"Do you think if I ask Vortex soldiers for some coffee, they'd give it to me?" Jess asks Niall quietly, completely uninterested in my discussion with Lia.

"Get over yourself, precioso, I've found someone else." Lia rolls her eyes. "I'm saying all this because I don't have a death wish, therefore I want Hazard to stay safe."

"I don't care, just get to the point."

"I saw her sneaking around the base and talking to some random soldiers away from anyone on various occasions. If that's not enough for you, she looked rather agitated while talking to some man on the day Vortex attacked us and we won. Niall here can confirm it, he saw their exchange."

I take a few moments to process her words, shooting her a final glare before directing my gaze at Niall. "Is that true?"

He looks uncomfortable, blue eyes widened slightly. "No- well yes, I saw that, but that doesn't prove anything. That man could be anyone."

"Is that why she looked so nervous? Open your eyes and face the truth. Traitor or not, she is hiding something, and she doesn't want anyone to know about it. The same goes for her brother."

A speck of doubt plants itself inside me, bothering me like an itch I can't get rid of. I don't want to doubt her, not after I finally gave her my trust, not after everything that's happened between us. I'd like to think there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for all this, and she'll give it to me once I get back into the base. I won't jump to conclusions.

"Get back on your position and focus on your assignment," I order Lia, turning my back on her and motioning Niall to follow me. 

"Yo, what about me?" Jess calls and I turn my head to look at her, signalling to her to stay in the group with Lia. "Oh great yeah, leave me with her! That'd require at least five cups of coffee- aaand he's gone."

I'm quiet as I drive toward the base, a line of vehicles behind me suddenly making me realise this is how it's going to be if something happens to David. I would never want that, but I have to be prepared for the worst. However, I'm not prepared to be a leader, I've already messed up once, but this time I could mess up to the extent where we could lose the war. I can't live with that burden, not now not ever.

"H, it will be fine, I have your back," Niall says in a comforting tone, placing his hand on my shoulder.

I manage a small smile despite the situation, giving him a quick glance in appreciation. "Thank you for not being annoying and not at all helpful like you tend to be, it means a lot."

"That means "I love you, Niall you're the best" in your language, don't worry, I see you." He nudges me teasingly, actually succeeding in making me feel better.

"Had a fun night?" He smirks, wiggling his eyebrows. When I cast him a questioning gaze, he points at my neck where a few purple marks reside.

My cheeks turn red. "Shut up."

"Look at you, growing up so fast, finally stickin' it in, aww." Niall reaches out to pinch my cheek, but I smack the top of his hand.

My happy mood falters when I see lines and lines of Vortex soldiers standing in front of the main entrance and protecting their base. They're only staring at us in their creepy way, not attempting anything, but there are loaded rifles in their hands, just waiting for us to as much as look at them in a wrong way.  I feel absolute disgust to be here and I hope to leave as soon as possible, this place is worse than hell for me.

My soldiers begin to stop their vehicles in the lines of ten like I told them to do, until there are only Niall and me still driving. When we're a few metres away from the main entrance, I stop the vehicle, casually getting out of it, Niall following my example.