"If it's what true?" She asks, pretending she doesn't know what I'm talking about. Classic.

"That you have something with prince Charming aka H," I say sarcastically. "You promised, Lenny."

"Wait how do you know about the nickname?" She asks, eyes slightly widened.

"Wait what?"

"What?"

"What nickname?"

"Uuh, I don't know- hey you look nice today."

"Thanks, I actually tried something new with my hair- wait! Don't change the subject, just answer my first question." I frown, pointing my finger at her.

She pretends to be confused. "What was the question again?"

"Lord. . ." I look up at the ceiling, waving. "It's me. Alex. Please give me strength and I'm talking about inner strength because physical would send me on a killing spree. Amen."

"Always so dramatic." Elena rolls her eyes. "Since you want to know the answer, the truth is. . . I don't know." She sighs, scanning my face, searching for anger probably.

"Look I get it, he has that luscious curly hair that honestly looks soft as fuck, he's got those deep dimples and sparkling green eyes, not to mention his toned body, so I get it why you have a thing for him. Hell, I find him attractive, but that's beside the point," I ramble. "The point is, you're getting sidetracked."

"You made a promise too, Alex, and how's that working out for you?" Elena says accusingly.

"Wh- what?" I mumble. "I don't have anything with anyone, you know my routine. I sleep, eat, work, complain, and sleep again. No time for funny business."

"My twin senses are tingling," she says, eyes narrowed suspiciously. "What about Jess? And Louis? And Niall? And-"

"Okay, first of all, Jess and I are just friends," I interrupt. "Oh wait, I see how this sounded, Louis and Niall are just my friends, too of course," I clarifly awkwardly. "And don't involve the squad into this, you know damn well you're a part of it, too."

"Don't worry, we'll work this whole thing out and we'll finally be free," I add softly, poking her cheek to make her smile. "It'll be you and me, just like always."

I manage to make her smile, but somehow I feel like her priorities have changed, it feels like she wants something else. Something or rather someone. But I know our future isn't here, we can't be a part of this war anymore. We deserve something better and I'll make sure we get it.

. . . .

"Fina-fucking-ly." I let out a sigh of relief as I realise it's lunch break. One more minute with these kids and I'd really stab myself with a pen. In front of them. I'd be so worth it.

I skip - yes skip - down the hallway of the children's building cheerfully, fist pumping the air before collecting myself, putting on a serious face and pulling the door open. I immediately notice greyish clouds scattered over the sky, meaning it's going to rain. Again. I see Jess waiting for me at the entrance to the mess hall, waving at me.

"Alex!" That famous deep voice I know too well by now and actually sounds really scary because the person owning it usually has bad news for me, calls.

I quicken my pace, pretending I didn't hear it. Maybe he'll let it go, just keep walking. I let out a not so manly shriek when a hand is placed over my shoulder, stopping me from walking further.

"Wow people sure want to socialise with me today," I mumble, turning around to face his green eyes. "Yes, master?"

H stares at me with a blank face as if he's done with me before letting out a sigh. "Can I have a word with you?"